How to get over nerves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

astronaut

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I got certified 7 years ago and did 5 dives around that time. On the last dive for some reason I was wasn't feeling well, got nervous, and managed to gulp up all my air. It was not a safety issue. I recognized what was happening, surfaced under control, and got back to the boat with no problems. By the time I got there though my tank was almost empty. The divemaster wasn't happy but it wasn't really an issue. He just said to be more careful next time.

I haven't dived since - not because I was afraid (really), the opportunity just didn't present itself. Until now. I'm going to Cancun in April and going to dive there. I've already scheduled a refresher before I go. But I just keep thinking back to that dive and don't want to get nervous and burn through my air too quickly. I want to relax and enjoy the diving.

So my question is: how can I make myself confident and relaxed so I won't start worrying and therefore burn my air too fast? What are some suggestions from the more experienced divers here?

Well...I know what helped me... I am sure some of the instructors here will have better ideas.

As simplae as it sounds...Relax and exhale slowly, and breathe deeply at a normal rate.

Once I mentally reminded myself....You are breathing,, everything down here is cool to look at...it is all good, now relax and enjoy it!!! I began using a lot less air.

You will be in Cozumel!!! Some of the best diving on the globe....Relax and enjoy it...

What is the worst that will happen....you may have a few less minutes than others...but you will still have fun...

Be safe and have a great trip!!!!

What makes you nervous?

The thought of being eaten alive, lost at sea, drowning, or crashing into everything and mucking up this vis. I worry about all of it but drowning for some reason.

Anyway diving is fun! Don't worry, breath normal and have fun, you burn through air you burn through air, you paid for it, it's your air. It is a well known fact that us new guys use air like a forrest fire.

I don't have any real advice unfortunately other than don't worry about it, the refresher course is a great idea though and you are definetly on the right track.

Last edited:
<snip>
So my question is: how can I make myself confident and relaxed so I won't start worrying and therefore burn my air too fast? What are some suggestions from the more experienced divers here?
Good for you in getting a refresher class. After that, ask to spend more time in the pool with an instructor or just a good diving mentor. It's all about getting comfortable and practice is the best path to that goal.

The refresher course is a good idea. Practice taking long, slow, deep breaths. When you go to open water, visualize yourself having a relaxing, easy dive before you get into the water. I know it sounds silly to some people, but if you try it, it really does help. Spend the first part of your dive really focusing on doing the slow, deep breaths that you practiced in the pool.

Also, if you flood and clear your mask near the beginning of the dive, that will usually slow down your breathing rate, due to the mammalian dive reflex, which is an automatic physiological response to cold water on the face that humans have in common with other mammals.

You are going to find that after your refresher course, the next dive you do will be less stressful than all your others simply because your goal has changed. You no longer have to prove you have the skills to dive.

With that said, I suggest that on your first dive for recreation, you make it Your dive.

Prior to entering the water discuss with your buddy and dive leader your desire to have a simple, boring, shallow excursion.

No skills, no currents, nothing but the freedom to go where you want and see everything or nothing. Stay close to your entry/exit point and just see what is there and let your body slip into the amazing realm of scuba.

I can't stress this enough, go slow. Let time stop, you have no place to go and all year to get there, so go slow and just enjoy the new world.

Once you remove the stressful commitments and let the water do it's job, you will find yourself better prepared, and looking forward to the next dive regardless of the conditions.

Also, if you flood and clear your mask near the beginning of the dive, that will usually slow down your breathing rate, due to the mammalian dive reflex, which is an automatic physiological response to cold water on the face that humans have in common with other mammals.

Wow... never heard of that before. In fact, when I'm cold water diving, I avoid the water in my mask - I find that if my face gets a blast of cold water, my heart rate goes up immediately!

Make sure your refresher instructor is aware of your last dive.

As for the breathing, count your inhale and exhale time. When I am doing a relaxing dive, I like to have about 4 cycles per minute, so I count to 7 each way. If you do this for the first few minutes of the dive it will help immensely.

Dive more.
Buy a cheap underwater camera and take pictures. It will get your mind off of your breathing.

1) Control your breathing at the surface and relax. Clear your head of any stress.
2) Go to a pool for a few dives first. That will build confidence.
3) Pick an instructor for your refresher that you are super comfortable with
4) When you go away, spend the extra money on a DM to dive with you as your buddy so that you feel more comfortable and relaxed.
5) Stay warm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom