How to get the protective seal off goggles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jessepcvfd6

Registered
Reaction score
Okay so my diver instructor told me tooth paste but never told me what would be the best kind to use. These are brand new goggles and the defog won't work without the film being taken off. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Any "regular" toothpaste (not the gel type) should do the trick.
Some may suggest that new masks need the "burn off with cigarette lighter"" method as well, but I'd wait for others to give more details on that. Try the toothpaste first!
Good luck.

I got some yesterday that said whitening + and my father in law scared the crap out of me making me think I just scratched my lenses really bad

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I would try to avoid using abrasive toothpaste, although I doubt it would scratch the lense too badly. Just scrub and rinse the lens(es) several times (3 should be enough not to miss any spots).

Moreover, I also carry some toothpaste with me when diving. Mix a small amount with a couple of drops of water and rinse the inside of the lens with it and you won't have any fogging during the dive. No need for special commercial defogging solutions. Dish washing soap is equally effective, but tends to make my mask leak more.

Last edited:
Never had that problem with toothpaste. Then again, I have only used dish washing soap a couple of times when provided by the operator, so the mask leaking on those dives may be just a coincidence. I think the important thing is to make sure it doesn't spill on the part that seals the mask against your face, and that was difficult with the running soap-water solution. In any case, I mostly like toothpaste because of its availability. Few people go on a trip without some and even if you run out, you can find it in almost any grocery store.

Never had that problem with toothpaste. Then again, I have only used dish washing soap a couple of times when provided by the operator, so the mask leaking on those dives may be just a coincidence. I think the important thing is to make sure it doesn't spill on the part that seals the mask against your face, and that was difficult with the running soap-water solution. In any case, I mostly like toothpaste because of its availability. Few people go on a trip without some and even if you run out, you can find it in almost any grocery store.

Cleaning and defog are 2 different tasks.

Cleaning is done initially and periodically when the mask accumulates crud or is exposed to oils, make-up, salad dressing or anything like that which will make water bead. A perfectly clean mask has no structure to seed droplets and will work as-is. Perfectly is a big word so to prevent fog in the real wold a defog solution is applied to a clean mask. The defog is a surfactant that promotes sheeting. This means that you will still have condensation since humid faces and cold lenses will do this but the water sheets and invisibly flows to the bottom of the mask. This sheeting volume is usually trivial and for the diver that needs to clear occasionally it's lost in the process.

I have had long dives, 90-120 minutes where my mask was on best behavior with no leaks, however there was enough sheeting to cause my baby shampoo defog to form a pool of bubbles in the base of my mask, that is a weird sensation. Depending on your situation that "leaking mask" may have just been a condensation accumulation.

More Here

Pete

Back
Top Bottom