How to make teams of three work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would, first and foremost, relax and understand that, as pointed out, these things are going to happen... especially when you're trying to work on everything that may be new to you. I think there is a bunch of stuff already pointed out in the thread to help.

GUE EDGE is good for defining roles and asking questions about the dive. The post-dive debriefs have always been good for figuring out where things can be improved. But they shouldn't be used as a weapon to identify why so-and-so screwed up. I use them to find out how I can improve my skills. I offer up information because my buddies are looking for input on how they can improve, and the only way to help them is to give them constructive feedback.

I can't remember a time where there was angst among the divers in the team during debriefs... well, not real angst anyway. And trust me, there have been times when we screwed the pooch in one way or another. We do this training so that we can make it back from "screwed the pooch" dives, not to look perfect in the water. We do this to have fun. We may poke fun at someone who had a brain fart and did something wrong on the dive, but even if we all realize that diver A may have been a catalyst for a team failure, that it was a team failure and we try to figure out what we can do to help diver A not do that again. Maybe we really were the catalyst. Maybe we were swimming too fast or making assumptions about diver A's skill set that we shouldn't have. It's all good. We dive as a team. We assume all responsibility for the success or failure of a dive as a team.

Situational awareness comes with time and comfort in the water. As someone explained it to me a while back, it's like we only have 10 brain cells. During normal swimming with nothing else going on, it's easy to have, say, seven of those in use for SA and the rest for other aspects of the dive--it probably takes far less brain cells to frog kick than to keep track of the team and surroundings. But when something goes wrong, you lose those seven dedicated cells to deal with the "something". This is the same with drills. When doing a drill, you don't have those seven cells dedicated because they are in use worrying about trim and buoyancy and... most of all... the drill. As you need to worry less and less about buoyancy and trim and other things that become natural (because you practice them), the number of cells devoted to those specific items will reduce and go back to SA, or whatever else needs them. Eventually, it takes less brain cells to manage the entire dive and you end up noticing a lot more things on the dive. It's like adding helium to deeper dives :)

And, understand that there is no one way to do some of these things. SA being probably the hardest to nail down. The comfort and familiarity of teammates with each other plays a large role in this. I would guess that Lynne and Peter don't devote as many brain cells to SA when diving together as a team as they would if I rolled in and join their team. And I would be devoting more brain cells as well because I am less familiar with their team.

Good luck. I am sure more things will become less frustrating as time moves on. Your CRM reference is a good one, but may be most valuable within your team first to figure out issues. None of us were on the dive so it's hard for us to identify truly where things may have been done in a sub-optimal fashion.

Chris

Chris, good post, and good to see you here!

Actually, I probably spend more brain cells on SA when diving with Peter . . .

When are you going to come down and join us in MX again?

Hi Lynne. I was thinking that when I posted, but thought the point would come across more with a married couple as the team :)

I don't know when I can get to MX (or FL for that matter), but it won't be soon enough. I miss the caves.

The third diver is the most important, especially in complicated drills or situations. That person safety nets the situation.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

I think we all agree that team diving is easy if everyone does everything right and has perfect SA. In this case we may not really need a team. Our teammates should not be just floating backup gas supplies but also act as "spare brains". But the team has to work reliably when (not if) we screw up. Otherwise, it creates a false sense of security in the beginning and more hassle in the end.

In the corporate world, aviation, the military and other places I see research and training being devoted to making teams work effectively. These efforts address the communication and cooperation process and not just the individual strength and weaknesses.

We (DIR) are a community that puts much faith in team diving and IMO we should have a similar awareness of the challenges and engage in similar training. I was hoping that after the Miller accident some guidance would come down from the top. Maybe it will and I am just too impatient.

However, the arguably most important item of our philosophy - the team - is the factor that I feel to be the least understood and to be the least predictable in my current diving.

"Just keep diving and it will get better" is not going to put my mind at ease. I would not continue to dive with a regulator that performs as unpredictably as the teams I dive in and am a faulty part of. Such a regulator would receive maintenance until the problem is known and rectified. The challenge for improving dive-team performance is that I neither know a repair technician nor a course where I could gain detailed knowledge for self-help. Please let me know if there is.

Comfort among seasoned teammates is a double-edge sword. While it makes team diving less stressful it can become a huge liability if things fall through the cracks unchecked as it happened with Miller.

I hope it became clear that "How do you make teams of three work (during drills)?" is not just a beginner's problem. It is one portion of one leg of a huge elephant in the room.

Thanks to everyone for the input.

I think we all agree that team diving is easy if everyone does everything right and has perfect SA. In this case we may not really need a team. Our teammates should not be just floating backup gas supplies but also act as "spare brains". But the team has to work reliably when (not if) we screw up. Otherwise, it creates a false sense of security in the beginning and more hassle in the end.

In the corporate world, aviation, the military and other places I see research and training being devoted to making teams work effectively. These efforts address the communication and cooperation process and not just the individual strength and weaknesses.

We (DIR) are a community that puts much faith in team diving and IMO we should have a similar awareness of the challenges and engage in similar training. I was hoping that after the Miller accident some guidance would come down from the top. Maybe it will and I am just too impatient.

However, the arguably most important item of our philosophy - the team - is the factor that I feel to be the least understood and to be the least predictable in my current diving.

"Just keep diving and it will get better" is not going to put my mind at ease. I would not continue to dive with a regulator that performs as unpredictably as the teams I dive in and am a faulty part of. Such a regulator would receive maintenance until the problem is known and rectified. The challenge for improving dive-team performance is that I neither know a repair technician nor a course where I could gain detailed knowledge for self-help. Please let me know if there is.

Comfort among seasoned teammates is a double-edge sword. While it makes team diving less stressful it can become a huge liability if things fall through the cracks unchecked as it happened with Miller.

I hope it became clear that "How do you make teams of three work (during drills)?" is not just a beginner's problem. It is one portion of one leg of a huge elephant in the room.

You keep bringing up Jim's accident, where the team didn't verify a gas switch. not sure it pertains to your valve drill all that much.

what are you expecting to come down from 'the top'? should jarrod come here and tell you what we've told you? sounds like some or all of you got happy feet and drifted away from one another during a drill. not the end of the world but also not rocket science to fix. pay attention to one another and communicate better

Chris and Lynne -- NO, NOT TRUE, TSandM just has to "follow the light" to know what is going on with me! :wink:

Lob -- SA is something that does need to be practiced -- for example:

a. Periodically flash your light -- how quick is the response?

b. Periodically cover your light (lost diver) -- how quick is the response?

c. Periodically just slowly drop back (real lost diver) and then stay where you are -- how quick is the response?

These can be done on any fun dive, but just make sure you ALL agree at the beginning of the dive that these things are fair game during the dive. BTW, things like covering your light, slowly sinking back, etc. are most fun to do when you see your buddy getting involved in something (mask flood, critter sighting, etc.).

Do I have great SA? Depends on the day and whether I have a camera in my hands and a great macro shot I've been looking to get!

Ain't nobody perfect . . . a big part of team building is diving together, and doing constructive debriefs. If there was ONE thing I got from my GUE training that was the most valuable item, it would be the dispassionate debrief. There's an art to it -- what you DON'T want is to have it deteriorate into a blamestorming (or mea culpa) session. (Danny Riordan listened to one of these after a big screwup on a cave dive in MX, and after a while, he just said, "Instead of trying to figure out who deserves how much blame, why don't you just focus on what you can do to have it not happen again?) What you DO want to do is identify what the problem was -- in this case, two-fold, with team separation and loss of position. Identify factors that contributed -- tunnel vision on the part of the people doing the drill, perhaps a lack of awareness of his role on the part of the third team member. Talk about what you can do differently next time, to make those things better. Keep it positive -- nobody builds a team by making people feel bad about what they are doing, and this is a RECREATIONAL activity. If nobody's having fun trying to improve, something's gone wrong!

When I was taking my classes and working on this stuff, my buddy/buddies and I made all kinds of mistakes. I clearly remember losing control of an ascent while trying to spool up a bag, and ending up on the surface festooned in line, laughing hysterically. Keep a sense of humor, and remember there's always the next dive to do better.

An instructor or agency can do a lot to teach physical skills, and to teach academic topics. But really, there isn't much you can do to teach situational awareness. As someone who has struggled with this myself, I know the frustration of not being able to find specific directions on how to make this better. My Fundies instructor told me to use the mantra, "What's my depth? Where's my buddy? Look at the fish . . . " and that's the best description of good SA I've found. Good SA is not getting tunnel vision, and keeping your eyes and your mind open to a lot of inputs and factors that you have to keep track of. In my experience, SA is like a muscle. The more you exercise it, the stronger it gets; the converse is also true, that if you get sloppy and stop thinking about it, you'll lose facility.

From knowing you personally, I can imagine that you are very hard on yourself, and probably pretty hard on your teammates, too. Just remember that part of "team" is esprit de corps. The teams I've known which have done best and been longest-lived have been people who liked one another and enjoyed diving together.

I'm starting to feel like there is more going on here than meets the public forum eye.

You keep bringing up Jim's accident, where the team didn't verify a gas switch. not sure it pertains to your valve drill all that much.

what are you expecting to come down from 'the top'? should jarrod come here and tell you what we've told you? sounds like some or all of you got happy feet and drifted away from one another during a drill. not the end of the world but also not rocket science to fix. pay attention to one another and communicate better

You are missing the point I am trying to make.

Suggesting that an individual should not get happy feet, should not get distracted, or should not drop the wrong bottle does NOT lead to more fault tolerant teams.

In aviation we have the phrase "Oops, I thought you lowered the landing gear" to make the risk of ineffective teamwork palpable.

Please let me know what industry you work in and I will give you several examples of how effective team cooperation is addressed there without (unrealistically) expecting perfection from each and every member. The whole point of a team is to compensate for the individual's limits in ability or attention.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom