How to make teams of three work?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... so create a blueprint then ... if that's your desire.

Why bother asking for input from people you don't want to listen to?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This is not about WHO I listen to but WHAT I feel is applicable to the challenge at hand. Trying to solve team dynamics by suggesting to just (!) focus on individual skills is IMO as effective as creating a perfect marriage by picking perfect partners.

Lamont, everything you said about the individual skills and the remaining mental bandwith is correct. But I still feel there are some overlying team dynamics at play. A few weeks ago I was going through the same routine with Bob Sherwood and while he is more demanding that all of my local teammates put together it was smooth sailing. I think that the big difference is not just his impeccable skills but also his "presence" as a teammate. He always pays attention and forces you to pay attention as well. How can we acquire these team skills consciously and actively in less than several decades?

Try taking Tech1 with Bob and you'll probably get at least part of your answer...

Sorry for the "go take the course" response, but fundies is still primarily about personal skills, Tech1 and Cave1 are where teams need to start coming together cohesively, and right now you don't have the same shared experience and language.

And even thinking back to how Bob teaches, I don't think I could put together a run book or other manual for you. There's just no substitute for experience.

It also isn't too surprising that Bob made you better. As divers get better they graduate from being pulled down to the level of the lowest diver, to being able to pull other divers up. You want to get to the point where you have good enough buoyancy and trim and control in the water, along with communication to be able to watch a diver doing their valve drills and provide them with what they need to perform better while not sacrificing anything yourself. It'll happen eventually. I can't tell you in a scubaboard post how to get there though.

I get the feeling that you would like a "playbook" with instructions on how to be a team. Unfortunately, the instructions are necessarily vague, because "being a team" is something that occurs in an infinite variety of situations and conditions. It always boils down to vague things like "equipment, environment, and team", instructing you to remain aware of buoyancy, trim, and position, and keep a mental checklist of who's where and doing what, what is working, what has been lost, and where you are in the dive.

Jim Miller's death was a combination failure -- failure of procedure, which was not sufficiently detailed to prevent an error, and failure of situational awareness on the part of his team. I talked to his dive buddy, in whose arms he died. Do you think he didn't acknowledge that there was a team failure there? If you have a team of three, you have three thinking individuals, which ought to give you three times the likelihood that an error will be picked up and corrected before it snowballs. I can tell you from my Cave 2 class that it can also be possible that you have three brains that aren't working and worse, are failing in ways that don't dovetail very well, so things CAN snowball.

All of my GUE training beyond Fundies, and all of my UTD training as well, has been largely about functioning as a team. Individual skills are developed at a lower level, altough they continue to be polished. But the technical classes really ARE about working together, solving problems, communication, and planning. You're asking for training and teaching materials about being a team -- it's coming. You just haven't gotten there yet. And as my C2 class showed, you can't always put round pegs in square holes. Some teams don't work -- each person has strengths and weaknesses, and it's best if any weakness is covered by someone else on the team who is stronger in that area. For example, my long-term classmate and dive buddy is imperturbable in the water. You can't shake his buoyancy control or his trim, no matter what you throw at him. But he doesn't always think things through to see what the best course of action is. I have much weaker diving skills -- you CAN shake me up (or give me vertigo) but I think really well, as long as I am not narced, and I solve problems quickly. As a team, we work extremely well. Pair me with a person with weak buoyancy and positioning, and I don't do well at all.

And this kind of thing is true all the way up the ladder. NOBODY is perfectly rounded and absolutely superb at everything. That's true of teams in every environment in the world. What you do, as you team-build, is figure out how to make things work the best you can. And that's what training dives are about. You make mistakes and fix them, and in time, you make fewer, and you learn about one another as teammates, and what you can expect people to do well, or not do well.

This is not about WHO I listen to but WHAT I feel is applicable to the challenge at hand. Trying to solve team dynamics by suggesting to just (!) focus on individual skills is IMO as effective as creating a perfect marriage by picking perfect partners.

There is no such thing as a perfect marriage ... there are bumps in the road, just like a diving team ... and they're resolved through a willingness to listen to each other, identify the problem, and work it out together ... just like a diving team.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Let me ask one more time:

As a community that puts great faith in team work, do we have the understanding of team dynamics and the training to improve team cooperation that is on par with what we expect in other fields (for example aviation)?
If yes, where is this wisdom?
If no, why don't we catch up?

Trying to solve team dynamics by suggesting to just (!) focus on individual skills is IMO as effective as creating a perfect marriage by picking perfect partners.

Reading back on this thread -- I'm starting to wonder if we are simply offering a bottom-up approach to a top-down learner.

I think the crux, like many have already suggested, is that you really need to be able to have a certain level of personal skill and situation awareness before underwater teamwork starts to be efficient. There have been many good suggestions here from quite experienced divers about how to work towards achieving this goal.

Try taking Tech1 with Bob and you'll probably get at least part of your answer...

Sorry for the "go take the course" response, but fundies is still primarily about personal skills, Tech1 and Cave1 are where teams need to start coming together cohesively, and right now you don't have the same shared experience and language.

This is true - during Fundies we barely scratched the surface on team interaction. In Cave 1 we explored team in much greater detail. I'm relatively new on this training path but expect to find a much deeper understanding of team in every class.

Tech 1 would certainly offer a partial answer to your questions, however, you must be able to master Fundies Tech level skills and situational awareness before enrolling in Tech 1.

There may be some miscommunication then, I read it as work on your individual skills, but also discuss before and after the dive about the team. Before the dive to determine roles, weaknesses, strengths, etc. After the dive to debrief what went well and what didn't and how to improve individually and as a team.

That seems an entirely different interpretation to me than what you are suggesting everyone is saying (work on skills and wait). One of us seems to be way off. Maybe it's me.

Good luck.

Chris

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom