how to? o2 cleaning tank valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djdalite

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I picked up some slightly used Thermo K valves (din style). I know there's not a whole lot to a valve and really o2 cleaning them really just means everything's in working order and not contaminated, also that the right lube is used. It cant be that hard to diy, i just cant find anything tutorial or guide on the web on how to do it.

Does anyone have or willing to share that knowledge/process with me?

My first recommendation is to get the oxyhacker book as it covers pretty much anything you'll need to know. Vance Harlow's OXYGEN HACKER'S COMPANION From AIrspeed Press

That said, I clean all my parts using blue gold in an ultrasonic cleaner and reassemble them with oxygen compatible lube (I use trilolube). It's pretty simple and shouldn't take a ton of time to rebuild your valves.

to follow up on the untrasonic, I use the cheap one from Harbor Freight and it works fine for my occasional use of servicing regs and valves. Oh, and my wife loves it because I'll clean her rings anytime she wants.

2.5 Liter Ultrasonic Cleaner

awesome info.

is there anyway around the ultrasonic cleanse? reason i ask is my tanks and valves had just gotten o2 cleaned and vip'd - however they are regular yoke valves, i want to just swap out the valves with the new din ones im buying after i burn through the nitrox in them, but i didnt want to pay for another o2 clean. <- i realize that sounds cheap but really o2 clean is kind of a myth, my dive shop doesn't partial blend, they bank EANx so the risk of flash is pretty low.

If you are not partial pressure blending, I don't see why you would be concerned about this. Are your tanks labeled "02 clean for 100%"? If they are, I can see why you would want to keep the new valves at that spec. I know it can be a challenge to find banked Nitrox in Soth Fla.

I don't think you are "cheap" to want to clean your own valves. I have over 12 tanks in my modest collection, and fees can start to rack up.

There is no way to skip the ultrasonic if you actually want them O2 clean. Even with the ultrasonic it can be challenging to get silicon out of the insides.

But in your case just washing them and not making any claims to be O2 clean is fine.

There is no way to skip the ultrasonic if you actually want them O2 clean. Even with the ultrasonic it can be challenging to get silicon out of the insides.

There is a Tribolube product that I saw a demo of that seemed to work pretty well. I think its made by Aerospace Lubricants. Their rep I talked to claimed it does a great job breaking lubes down and prepping them for o2 cleaning.

But in your case just washing them and not making any claims to be O2 clean is fine.

Unless he plans to travel with these tanks and they only do partial pressure blending. I'm no expert on this, but conversations I have had with pros I know say the valve is the most critical part of o2 cleaning, and the risk of an explosion. So, If these tanks are labeled for 100% o2, the valves should be o2 clean.

If you are not partial pressure blending, I don't see why you would be concerned about this. Are your tanks labeled "02 clean for 100%"? If they are, I can see why you would want to keep the new valves at that spec. I know it can be a challenge to find banked Nitrox in Soth Fla.

Uh no ... there are two standards. Air Only and O2 compatible. This crap about banked only NITROX without having an O2 compatible cylinder is just that crap.

To the OP you are going to need to properly clean the valves to be O2 compatible. Either that you are going back to air only.

Uh no ... there are two standards. Air Only and O2 compatible. This crap about banked only NITROX without having an O2 compatible cylinder is just that crap.

To the OP you are going to need to properly clean the valves to be O2 compatible. Either that you are going back to air only.

Wow.. you seem very sure of yourself.

Do you want me to post a pic of my VIP stickers? There are two holes available to punch. One says something like: Clean for "premix oxygen content 22-40%". The other says: "tank and valve cleaned for o2 service".

Whether you like it or not.. banked nitrox blends at around 29-32% are pretty common in FL and I have not encountered any shop that required cleaning for 100% o2 when filling from banked gas below 40%.

If you have some information that shows this is proven to be an unsafe practice, please share your source.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom