How to post HD vids on Net?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is going to be difficult for a "computer idiot" to understand some of the intricacies of what we discuss here because frankly, HiDef computer based video requires some good knowledge of video and computers.

The primary basic that you'll need to understand is something called a CODEC. Codec is short for compressor/decompressor. It is a bit of computer programming that takes a video file and compresses it in a specific way. That file can be decompressed with a program that understands that method of compression.

The second basic that you need to understand is the file type or file container. Usually you see this as the last 2-4 letters of the file name. Windows Media Files have a .wmv extension. Windows AVI files have a .avi extension. Quicktime files have a .qt or a .mov extension.

The tricky bit is that sometimes a file type or file container can only contain one kind of compressed file. For instance a .wmv file only contains files that were compressed with the Windows Media Compressor. In some other cases, like the .avi container, the it can contain files created with a very wide variety of codecs. The same is true for quicktime files.

Stage6 requires that files are compressed with one of two codecs. One is called DivX, and the other is called Xvid. They are similar, and compatible, but not the same. Both can be stored in a .avi file type, but DivX can also create a .divx file which is compatible with Stage6. Unfortunately, Vegas cannot create a Stage6 compatible file. There are two ways around this. The first, and simplest way, is to download (and buy) a DivX converter program like Dr. DivX or the DivX convertor.. These are available from the Stage6 site. The DivX converter is as simple as it gets. You save your file from Vegas in an uncompressed format, then open the converter and point it to the uncompressed file, and it makes a .divx file suitable for upload to stage6.

The harder way is to use a variety of software to prepare your uncompressed file for uploading. I prefer that way, because it gives a LOT of control over many of the parameters and can create a very nice file. But it requires a fairly good knowledge of computers and computer video. The big upside is that this method is free.

The other major factor, as you found out, is that there is a parameter when making files called the bit rate. This basically says how much memory per second, a file can consume. The higher the number, the cleaner the video will be. But the higher the number the larger the file will be, and the more demand it will place on a computer to play it. HD video even when compressed, will tax older computers. The file you made with the 6.4 Mbps rate is nearly what a commercial Hollywood DVD would be. Many older computers could not play it without it stuttering and pausing. And playing it over the internet simply would not happen.

Most internet based video is encoded at between 384 kbps, and 768kbps. A file of 1024kbps (also known as 1mbps) is probably the minimum for encoding HD files. When I encode 720p files, I usually use 350kbps (aka 3.5mbps) and I know that many older computers will struggle to play them, and most internet connections are too slow to play them in real time, so they have to "buffer" or download part of the file and then play part while the remainder downloads in the background.

In terms of buying new storage, consider that HDV takes about 13.5GB per hour. Uncompressed HD or minimally compressed HD (your intermediate format) will take about 50-100GB per hour. Do not buy drives that spin slower than 7200 rpm. 10,000 rpm is preferable. Buy as much disk space as you can afford. And believe me, it won't be enough.

I hope this is a help to you.

-P

First of all I AM A COMPUTER IDIOT. Half of what you guys talk about makes no sense to me. I re-did the Sony Vegas and when went to "Make Movie" choose: Windows Media Video V9; 6.4 Mbps HD 1080-24p Video and saved it to my hard drive. This time Windows Media player played it no problem.

Now if I was going to load it to Stage6 how would I "save" the file?

drbill: I just did a quick tour of Vegas cobbled a clip together added a MP3 of music and then "Make Movie". I have never tried saving back to the camcorder.

I have a LaCie 250GB external that I have been storing photos to. But it is almost full so time to buy another, any suggestions there, requirements for HD Video storage?

Here are the stats (that I could find) on my current computer:

HP Pavilion
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium
Processor: Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6700 @2.66 GHz 2.67GHz
Memory (RAM): 3582MB
System Type: 32-bit Operating System
Drive: 500GB
NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
DVD/CD Driver: ATAPI DVD A DH16A1L
Storage Controller: Intel ICH8R/ICH9R SATA RAID & Microsoft iSCSI Initiator

I can't find: "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0" but that does not mean it is not there.

Why are people buying the Divx conversion software ? What advantages does it have ? I find the free Dr. Divx version works fine.

The Dr DivX never worked for me. Every file I put through it failed. The DivX converter gave me uploadable files every single time.

When the trial period ran out, I learned to do the conversion in Virtual Dub. I was doing my deinterlacing and frame rate conversion in there anyway, so seemed like a logical choice.

Failed on the conversion or failed on the upload to stage6 ?

The conversion always worked for me, but I did have a few failed uploads.

Failed on upload. I later learned this was because of the audio portion of the file. After 4 days of frustration, I gave up on it. Basically, Dr. DivX will allow you to create DivX files that are not compatible with Stage6. The DivX convertor will not.

Yea, I saw. Great job! Did you do the final export out of Pinnacle or Vegas? The fracture transitions are something I haven't seen before.

I ended up using Pinnacle. When I went to "save as" Divx actually showed up in the box so I went with it. My main issue with Pinnacle is color correction. I have to play with Sony more to see if it significantly better. But as I mentioned I did "save file" in HD with Sony and it played fine on my computer.

The next issue is I usually do a “slide show” of our trips which include stills and video clips. For this I have used Photodex Proshow because you can post them on the web at their site. The drawback is I have only been able to post MPEG-1 video clips.

So more dumb wonderings. I am sure I can do “slide shows” with Pinnacle or Sony Vegas but with HD clips the files, I assume, would be massive. Is there any site that can take something like this? FYI our slide shows typically run 20mins with the mix of stills and MPEG-1 clips.

So more dumb wonderings. I am sure I can do “slide shows” with Pinnacle or Sony Vegas but with HD clips the files, I assume, would be massive. Is there any site that can take something like this? FYI our slide shows typically run 20mins with the mix of stills and MPEG-1 clips.

In Vegas, drop your stills and mpeg1 files onto the time line lay in the music as an audio track, save the movie file, and there you go.

-P

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom