How to replace the O rings on a HP pressure guage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bill_bain

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Farallon console that I bought new many, many moons ago and the swivel is leaking - I can see a steady stream of little bubbles from the swivel when I pressurize it. I can't figure out how the swivel comes apart to replace the O rings. Can someone either explain how the HP hose attaches to the gauge so I understand how to disassemble it or point me to an article that describes it?

Thanx!

there is a spool in there. remove the hose and look for the spool. pull the spool out and replace oring or entire spool. a spool only costs about $3. best is if you go to a dive shop and buy a spool. that way you see what it looks like and it'll be obvious what you'll need to remove and replace.

The o-ring size is a 003 (if memory serves me at all). There are at LEAST three different "spools" or inserts. Some are not compatible! If there is ANY corrosion on the spool, replace it! check out McMaster-Carr for a complete line of Orings. You can buy 100 of these puppies in Buna-n for $1.87. O-Rings. BTW, my very favorite o-ring tools can be found here: O-ring Tools and are items 7426A32 and 7426A33 which cost $3.55 each.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. However, I'm stumped in how to get the doggone thing apart to get to the spool and the O rings.

Pull the boot back (if you have one). Use a 5/8" or 11/16" open end wrench for the exposed nut. Give it a quick twist to break it loose and unscrew it from the gauge. The pin/insert/spool will be in either the hose end or the gauge end. A pair of needle nose pliers should extract it nicely. Gently pull the o-rings off either end. lightly grease the o-rings and place them on a clean flat surface. Push the pin into the first one and rock it around a bit. Use your fingers to ease it all the way on. Repeat for the other side and re-lube both o-rings liberally. This is the ONLY place I recommend you do this, and it will help keep your gauge spinning free for quite a while!

BTW, if the pin does not want to come out at first, simply twist it to break it free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom