how to set my camera's up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mud&Rox

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
OK for a little back story...I shoot a Olympus 4/3 e series and always hated swapping ports between macro and wide so I bought a second housing that I could just swap housings and quit worrying about breaking the seal on the port...anyway, one thing let to another and I got a second camera so I basically have 2 separate setups one for 14-42 and 50mm and one for 8mm fish eye....

I use INON s-240 strobes and have always used 2 with my rig but didn't want to sink the money in a second set of s-240's for the setup but did get 1 more so I total 3 strobes...

now my question... do I shoot one strobe with 8mm and dual strobes for macro? or dual for 8mm and single for macro?

I understand dual for both would be optimal but my budget (and marital status) say "NO"

thanks in advance

you can't just move the strobe and arm from one setup to the other? better yet, all three on one camera!

no both rigs will be in the water at the same time....Ill have one and the wife will have the other

The wide angle probably need the power to light up the subjects, thus it should get the dual strobe. The macro could make do with one strobe, either using creative side lighting, or you having a white card handy to bounce some of the light from the single strobe in order to light up the other side of the subject.

OK for a little back story...I shoot a Olympus 4/3 e series and always hated swapping ports between macro and wide so I bought a second housing that I could just swap housings and quit worrying about breaking the seal on the port...anyway, one thing let to another and I got a second camera so I basically have 2 separate setups one for 14-42 and 50mm and one for 8mm fish eye....

I use INON s-240 strobes and have always used 2 with my rig but didn't want to sink the money in a second set of s-240's for the setup but did get 1 more so I total 3 strobes...

now my question... do I shoot one strobe with 8mm and dual strobes for macro? or dual for 8mm and single for macro?

I understand dual for both would be optimal but my budget (and marital status) say "NO"

thanks in advance

You'r doomed :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

All that camera gear... what's one more strobe in the scheme of things. Make your wife use the single strobe till she wants another one :p

single for macro makes more sense to me.

Like they said, two for wide, one for macro in your case - assuming you only have 3 strobes to work with. Have fun!

Scott Gietler

Last edited:
Clearly you need another 2 strobes (one for backup). I would argue that since most wide-angle has a significant amount of natural lighting, use one strobe for wide and two for macro since you will need to control the lighting to control the shadows that create depth.
Bill

hang on a minute. Ship one of your rigs to me. i think I have a set of strobes that will fit. I will let you know how they worked after xmas in belize....

Back
Top Bottom