How to use a gym?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Echo what others have said - initially certainly for CV stuff its more important to get a fixed time rather than anything else.
30-45 minutes a session should be a goal. Given the choice of running like hell and stopping after 5 mins or a gentle jog or walk and going for 45 mins then the latter is by far the most beneficial.
Even a 45 minute walk on a treadmill is more beneficial to you than a 5 minutes sprint.

There is a lot of expert advice on ScubaBoard in the posts of Cameron Martz and Coach Izzy. Do a search. But if you're craving amateur advice I'll take a stab at it. I think the current wisdom is that interval training is the most efficient use of your gym time--periods of maximum intensity with less effort in between. Vary your intensity and maintain an elevated heart rate and at the same time you address the boredom factor.

Jumping off the elliptical trainer to do push-ups will maintain your elevated heart rate, rest your legs for a couple of minutes, and get you some strength training. Then jump back on. Somebody above suggested crossfit.com--chances are you can't complete any of their sample workouts, but they would still serve as good models for the concept.

TS&M pointed out that you should push yourself beyond your comfort level; great advice, but easier said than done. One thing that can help in this regard is a personal trainer, if one is available. As a new gym-goer, it will also help you with proper form and pace of exercises, proper stretching techniques, etc. My personal trainer whipped me into great shape for a while--until she moved in with me, then I hit the skids.:wink:

Last edited:
Dear Dive Fitness Enthusiasts,

Congratulations on your fitness, weight loss, strength improvements and workout discoveries. I have enjoyed reading your posts over the past few months. Just want to let you know ScubaFit is a great resource for your questions. I would also appreciate your feedback.

I have already posted a sample Fit-Diver workout of six core exercises with interval training. Also, you will find guidelines for women in the Mermaid Workout. Check out the book reviews in the Overview of Physical Fitness and Diving. Let me know what you think.

P.S. Remember, your goals! Training for strength and size is quite different than training for diving.

As an aside:
My last competitive bench press - AAU Lifetime DrugFree World Record - Women at age 45 was 220 lbs. My leg press routine used to be 860 lbs. x 5 with a best squat of 343 lbs. My first visit to a gym was at age 35. My first competition at age 38. It is never to late to get started.

I look forward to our discussions and interactions on SB.

Cordially,
Gretchen M. Ashton, CFT, NBFE
ScubaFit

vladimir and scubafit are spot on with their remarks on interval training. Personally I've practiced keeping your cardio and weight training separate. There is some literature out there that shows that cardio workouts mixed with weight training causes the bodies repair mechanisms resulting from the weight training to slow so you don't get the optimum results.

So, I prefer cardio every other day with weights on the other days in between. Also, track your progress. Make up a sheet listing your exercises and the number of reps or the minutes of cardio with whatever effort indicator you can use and write it down. I use a perceived effort of 5 (easy) to 10 (all out, couldn't do another) written down next to each set. That way as your body adapts you can continue to push yourself.

There's a lot more to talk about but the best advise is to be consistent. On those mornings at 4 AM when I don't want to drag myself out of bed I know that if I get my feet on the floor I'm going to make it. Even if you can't make it through your entire workout you're better off to do a little bit just to keep the consistency going than to skip your workout.

Consistency is key! Especially as we age. It costs us (i.e. wieght gain, loss of muscle, injuries) more when we stop and its harder to start. Here's one of my latest newsprint columns - go to Physical Activity Guidelines for complete report.

Be Active, Healthy, and Happy
Gretchen M. Ashton, CFT, NBFE

For the first time since the landmark 1996 U.S. Surgeon General’s Report on Physical Activity and Health, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has published an update. The 2008 Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans provides science-based recommendations to help Americans aged 6 and older improve their health with physical activity. The publication finds health benefits of physical activity far outweigh the possibility of adverse outcomes. Health benefits occur for children and adolescents, young and middle-aged adults, older adults, those in every studied racial and ethnic group, and for people with disabilities.

Regular physical activity reduces the risk of many adverse health outcomes. Some physical activity is better than none. Additional benefits occur as the amount of physical activity increases through higher intensity, greater frequency, and/or longer duration. Most health benefits occur with at least, 150 minutes (2 hours and 30 minutes) of activity such as brisk walking. Additional benefits occur with more physical activity. Both aerobic (endurance) and muscle strengthening (resistance) activities are beneficial.

Using a lifespan approach to physical activity, key guidelines for children and adolescents begin with 60-minutes (I-hour) or more of moderate-intensity physical activity every day. More specifically, vigorous-intensity aerobic exercise combined with muscle strengthening and bone strengthening exercise is recommended at least three days of the week.

Adults should do at least 150 minutes a week of moderate-intensity physical activity, or 75-minutes (1 hour and 15 minutes) a week of vigorous-intensity activity, or an equivalent combination of moderate- and vigorous-intensity aerobic activity. Aerobic activity should be performed in episodes of at least 10-minutes and be spread throughout the week. More health benefits may be achieved by increasing aerobic activity to 300 minutes (5 hours) a week of moderate-intensity exercise. Muscle-strengthening activities at least two days a week at moderate- to high-intensity and involving all major muscle groups is recommended and provides additional health benefits.

When older adults are not able to do 150-minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic activity a week because of chronic conditions, they should be as physically active as much as their abilities and conditions allow. Exercise should also focus on maintaining balance and preventing falls.

The guidelines continue with suggestions for women during pregnancy and the postpartum period, adults with disabilities, and individuals with chronic medical conditions. A “Roadmap” is provided for reading select chapters of interest.

Four classification levels of activity, how to measure intensity, training principles, lifestyle exercise, and tools to get started and track your progress, are included in the full report found online at Physical Activity Guidelines.

These recommendations are in agreement with the CDC, American Heart Association and American College of Sports Medicine, but are generally less specific. Remember if have been inactive, have a medical condition or disability, or are over the age of 35, consult a physician for a complete medical evaluation before beginning an exercise program.

Gretchen M. Ashton, CFT, NBFE, The Fitness Coach, www.thefitnesscoach.net, is registered with the National Board of Fitness Examiners (NBFE), specializing in biomechanic strength, she is certified as a personal trainer and fitness therapist through International Sports Sciences Association (ISSA). Gretchen is also a dive-fitness expert, owner of Exercise Information and Discussion for Scuba Divers, and a World Champion AAU Hall--of-Fame athlete. She may be reached directly at (760) 271-6069.

You could go to Itune store and down load some Pod casting on fitness training you will find many

here's my general workout. i cut out the running because my knees hurt. (ran a lot as a kid and i think it's catching up to me).

- 15-20 mins on a bike. get my hr up to 160
- cool down for 5 minutes (walking)
- 5 minutes of as many situps as i can do (usually about 100)
- 5 minutes of flutter kicks (marine corps count)
- lift weights, usually quads then bench press, then finish with curls and squats.
- finish with 10mins on the bike.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom