How was your first night dive ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My first night dive was as part of the Advanced Open Water (AOW) course, so I did it with an instructor. I encourage you to do it that way.

Of course, even diving with an instructor as part of a class does not guarantee things will turn out well. On my first night dive, not only was I in the water as part of my instructor's group of students, but there were also several other instructors and their own groups of students. With all the lights flashing around, it looked like a disco. I found it difficult to avoid getting confused about which group was which. I was so focused on just trying to stay with my group that I don't think I noticed any interesting marine life. I am not trying to scare you. Rather, I hope you learn from my story and, on your first night dive, try to avoid diving with too many other people in the water at the same time. Once you get comfortable with night diving, it is a lot of fun.

Did my first night dive on Samatha's reef off Marathon, FL (in the Keys). It was a blast. We did a double dip on the reef. 1st dive late afternoon. Did our SI on the boat watching the sunset. Did the night dive and watched the "changing of the guard" on the reef. The lobsters came out of their hidey holes and did the conga line on the sand. Saw a school of purple bio-lum squidies and we tucked our lights against our chests and watched them glow. Saw a couple octopi and "sleeping" nurse sharks. Did I say it was fun?? On the way back, watched the green glow in the wake and the lights on the shore. Nothing to be apprehensive about if you're with a good crew. Have fun. :)

I went in Lake Winnepesaukee in front of Camp Lawrence, the fish were attracted to my light. At night there wasn't any boat traffic and it was really quiet. I saw a long underwater powerline. Towards the end of my dive I dropped my camera and couldn't find it until the next day. My video did not come out as good as during a day dive.

Pick a powerful and wide angle light and you will be able to see almost as well as in the day.

Underwater Photo/Video Light | MAKO Spearguns

MUL.1-2.jpg

My first night dive was also on during my AOW training. It was done in Lake Hickory where vis is so bad it could almost constitute night diving during the middle of the day. We took it as an exercise to work on navigation as well, attempting to leave the dock heading north for xxx feet and then east for xxx feet and attempt to come up the boat ramp. I truly enjoy night diving even when there isn't much to see. For me it is like completely disconnecting from the entire world and it is just you floating into the aether.

Though I have the cert., I have done I believe 6 night dives including the course. My first was as part of AOW years ago, done with an excellent instructor in the U.S. He also was my instructor for the Night Course and several others. The first dive was the only time I felt iffy about this instructor. It was in a body of fresh water. I believe I was "taking up the rear" and the lights in front of me disappeared into the darkness (more like greyness here, but it WAS night). I wasn't really nervous about it--well hey, it's 20-30' deep, no sharks to come out of nowhere, etc. But one of my cardinal rules when buddy diving is there is almost no excuse to become separated if you're in constant contact (remember I did say almost). Anyway, that was a little unsettling--It's not that hard to keep close to a big shiny light. The Night Course itself was OK--I was into collecting cards. I found that I didn't have any fantastically more success with my shell collecting activities at night, so I just figured it's easier logistically to Day Dive.

I personally have never really cared for night dives. (There! I wrote it!) Although I've been on more than a few night dives in fresh water (MO and AK lakes) and in salt water (FL Keys and Grand Cayman), I would not miss never, ever going on another one.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

P.S. There's a cert for night diving??!!

My first night dive was a 30 foot drop off a suspension bridge into a river in Montana. I can't say I reccomend that - it was so dark that we couldn't see the water so we had to trust the people we were with to tell us where to jump from. It was absolutely insane - it was jumping into a pitch black void. We could see absolutely NOTHING. I figured they must do this all the time so I asked them how many times they did it at the wedding the next day. "Are you kidding? That was the only time. We aren't crazy!"

Okay, so that's not really a "night dive" per se. But it was scary. :wink:

My SCUBA first night dive was in Coz and it was FANTASTIC. Absolutely loved it - and I have a fear of "black water" although I'm not specifically afraid of the dark. We dropped in dusk and the night slowly came up on us as we dove, so it was never like dropping into pitch black. I'm a big fan of night dives.

I am a fan of the high-lumen lights but if you are going to carry one I strongly recommend a wimpy light as well. Depending on the time of year, a super-bright light can attract lots of little critters in the water. It's fun to feed the coral but they can be a bit annoying - this is why I carry both a DRIS 1000 lumen light and an Intova (sp?), which isn't nearly as bright.

Also the little translucent LED beacons are great - we have two blue ones in our buddy pair and they are handy for giving ourselves the peace of mind that we can find eachother.

I like to turn my lights off sometimes and just use everybody else's lights and the ambient light (there is SOME until very late). When your eyes are adjusted it's fantastic.

On my first night dive the same person came from above me, dive bombing to get to what the DM was pointing out. Kicked my reg out of my mouth, kicked my mask causing it to flood and last time was when I got kicked in the jaw and it almost knocked me out. No I didn't say anything to her about it, in fact I did my best to avoid the person for the rest of the trip. On another trip, during the night dive the glass fell out of my mask. No, I'm not real fond of night dives. I guess I probably do about 1/2 of the night dives available, not my favorite.

Absolutely Awesome.

Long time ago though (1992), I do remember videoing a swimming Spanish Dancer, and later when reviewing the video, I noticed a large shrimp running up and down its back while it was swimming :D

Other stuff I had never seen in daytime was large sea cucumbers that look like intestines, it was to me more like being in science fiction movie and I was hooked.

In 1996 I did 50 night dives (log books are useful :wink: )

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom