How, why and when did you become an instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmneill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Now that we all know who wears a snorkel....
I'm sure this thread has been done, but I think it's worth reviving if not for my own selfish interest. How did you do it? Where did you do it? What did you sacrifice to do it? Is it all you had hoped it to be back in the day? What are the ups and downs. Make this a conversation as I'm sure there is a lot of interest in this in lowly common folk divers such as myself.

I'm sure 99.9% of the SCUBA instructors in the world knew they wouldn't be Bill Gates through that choice of career. But I'm sure it has it's perks, like getting to dive regularly and be around SCUBA enthusiasts all the time.

I'm not an instructor, but I know quite a few.

I was in my mid 40s and decided to make a go of living on a resort island in the Philippines, where I'd lived for 10 years already shrimp farming.

But, after completing the courses and working a bit, I came back to the reality that I had to put three kids through college and I didn't have the savings to do so.....so back to shrimp farming.

But now, I'm glad it worked out that way. I enjoy my job managing shrimp farms and hatcheries and I make enough to have my own boat, gear etc and live near good diving. So diving is my break from work, not work.

Long term I could be happy owning and operating a shop in a nice resort or tropical area. But day to day diving with students....not really what i want to do.

I did it over the course of the last several dive seasons training in various places with my instructor trainer (florida caves, keys, california coast, etc). I became an instructor because I wanted to be able to help a small set of my friends that would never have learned otherwise. My intention has never been to work with sport divers, but rather with those in transition into tech (tecreational?) which is very rewarding and because I'm not doing this as a job, I'm free to hand pick my students and build a competent team of divers around me that are capable of doing the dives that I'm interested in.

Three words: I Love Diving! For me, becoming an instructor was a natural progression. As my interest in diving grew, I took additional courses (AOW, specialty courses, rescue) and then made the decision to go down the professional rather than recreational path with divemaster and then instructor. I find much joy in introducing others to the underwater environment and found that if a little income came with that - great! I say "little income" because I think becoming an instructor is a bit like becoming a monk - there is a vow of poverty involved if you do this full time :). I never intended to do this fulltime. For a number of years I worked with a local dive shop and then independently teaching others the full PADI spectrum of courses. Nowadays, I focus on AOW and specialties as I find true joy in helping others refine their diving skills and find the Zen elements of diving. What is probably most unusual (at least in my area) is that I maintain a high volume of recreational diving. I probably dive more non -instructional dives than any instructor in the area. So many instructors I know rarely do "local" diving unless with a class and only do trips for which they are a paid/comp'ed participant. That has it's place, but I know too many instructors who only dive if there is money or benefit for them in it. For a full time person I understand this (to a degree). However, it is never where I wanted to be. I avoid it at all cost. If instruction cuts into my pleasure diving too much, I back off teaching. I love diving too much to let it become "just a job." However, even if I'm not teaching, I make it a point to learn on every dive.

I decided that rather than sit around and complain about how hard it was to find good dive buddies, I'd just grow my own ... :wink:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Couldn't breath hold as long as I wanted.. so I took up divin' in 1974..(breathing underwater was then and still is magical...compared to today..our gear was rustic) after diving we'd go grab something to eat (divers ///dive...hydrate...and eat or die) Then we'd share our story..what we wouldn't do twice, and then brainstorm on how to do something safer.
..I have never had a problem.. taking advise or giving it..when it comes to diving safe.. Never felt the need to be an Instructor..
David (he filled my doubles at the shop) he was a great dive buddy..and happened to be a Course Director..well...he invited me to get in on a super vacation package....top floor of a house on Grand Cayman...charter prices on the flight..10 days vacation cheap...(the draw back?..everyone else was taking an Instructor exam)...
We compromised..he invited me to do the course..with the understanding that I would not have to pay ANYTHING..('cept for the flight and house) ..if I didn't get to dive morning ..noon and night..cause..it's what I do on vacation.. not study in some kitchen..all day.
So...I did the DiveMaster course..the week before flight...so I would qualify to take the Instructor exams (if I felt like it) that last great trip.. changed my life..forever...I dove morning, noon and night..(the others studied in the kitchen)...I took the Instructor exams..yes I passed..(so?)
Sometimes you already know what you need to know...but didn't know you knew it... (David knew) What I discovered was.. I didn't "Like" working with the folks that took over the company I worked for..what else could I do?? Quit my job..is what..packed up for a long endless summer type of trip.. I knew I could train divers..(with my Instructor certification..it would be sanctioned) and make a living..diving ...been happy ever after..
Training divers is what I do..now... I've got a long list of dive buddies...sure..it's kinda selfish..and totally fulfilling.. I have been truly blessed.

I did it over the course of the last several dive seasons training in various places with my instructor trainer (florida caves, keys, california coast, etc). I became an instructor because I wanted to be able to help a small set of my friends that would never have learned otherwise. My intention has never been to work with sport divers, but rather with those in transition into tech (tecreational?) which is very rewarding and because I'm not doing this as a job, I'm free to hand pick my students and build a competent team of divers around me that are capable of doing the dives that I'm interested in.

Sweet! A reason that would have never crossed my mind. I'll never see a post from you complaining of a bad dive buddy!

I had moved from a ski-intensive region (Geneva, Switzerland, where I skied the Alps of the Mont Blanc area) to an equatorial country (Malaysia) and I missed having an outdoor activity (it's uncomfortably hot to be outside for long periods in SE Asia). On a whim I took a scuba course when I was "stranded" at a boring beach resort, and it changed my life. I love skiing, but I have to admit that I'll never be anything more than an intermediate skier who hates moguls, but in the water I was.... a mermaid, pure and simple. What joy! And as a professional in education and teacher development, the transition from recreational mermaid to professional instructor mermaid was natural, especially since the notion of sharing this joy with others was strong. I stayed in SE Asia and did my instructor training in Phuket, where I still live and work.

Was making a decision to either stay in Japan and make good money but be forced to live as a JAG (just another gaijin) in Japan... or do something I enjoyed for work.

And lo, Supergaijin was born.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom