How would I know whether did I get decompression sickness????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Suzielim

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys I would like to know whether the syndrome that I'm having is it decompression sickness.... Actually I feel all this after 48 hrs after my last dive... I feel itch on my left leg and left hip but on for a whole... Then i also got some blue black in my hands and leg... Den I also feel numbless on my left brain which sometime I also encounter when I nv do my diving... Hmm is this consider decom...? Pls drop me what u guys think ya... Thanks alot...

It would probably help the more experienced divers help you if you posted your dive profile.

As being a novice diver myself, I would suggest contacting a doctor who is knowledgeable about diving or simply contacting DAN specifically
Contact DAN

Hope that helps

If what you are describing is indeed DCS, you should have been to a knowledgeable doctor within a few hours of the end of your last dive. What happens with DCS is that the circulation is cut off from parts of the body, and if you're unlucky the affected tissue can die. That is permanent and irreversible. Speed of treatment is critical to the eventual outcome.

By a "knowledgeable doctor" I mean just that. Many doctors have no experience of DCS, don't know how to recognise it (unless it's REALLY serious), and don't know how to treat it. Depending on how medical funding works where you are, the best way is to go directly to a recompression chamber. If they think you need treatment but need a doctor's authority they will have a knowledgeable doctor close by.

This is what I did when I did something silly many years ago. It was in Britain, where primary health care is free. The chamber couldn't treat me on the free basis unless I had been referred by a doctor, so as they were convinced I did need treatment they called in one of their panel of doctors. Within ten minutes of arriving I was in the chamber, and it didn't cost me a penny.

DCS is regarded so seriously in Britain that if a diver surfaces with symptoms that could be DCS the boat captain radios the Coastguard and within a few minutes a helicopter is on its way. If the captain's quick diagnosis turned out to be wrong that doesn't matter.

Hmmm ic... But is after 48hour later den start to get itch on my hip and leg... But not those very serious type of itch.... Hmm it's jus on and off de itch... But I check with some of my diving friend they said after anything after 24hour is no decompression.... Is it true...?

DCS symptoms typically start some hours after a dive - usually 6 or more. But they can start sooner than that, and it isn't uncommon for them only to show up 24 hours or even more after the dive ended. If you have unexplained symptoms/signs you should get to a chamber or a knowledgeable doctor asap, at any time of the day or night. If you were using a dive computer take it with you. Don't waste your time writing on this forum.

DCS symptoms typically start some hours after a dive - usually 6 or more. But they can start sooner than that, and it isn't uncommon for them only to show up 24 hours or even more after the dive ended.

Agreed, but I have never heard of DCS symptoms that did not present before 48 hours. That is a heckuva long time. Even as long as 24 hours is very rare.

Decompression sickness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hmmm ic... But is after 48hour later den start to get itch on my hip and leg... But not those very serious type of itch.... Hmm it's jus on and off de itch... But I check with some of my diving friend they said after anything after 24hour is no decompression.... Is it true...?
Yes, it is true that symptoms presenting 24 hours or more after the dive are highly unlikely to be signs of decompression sickness. Even if they were, there is little point in recompression at that point in the case of "skin bends," although a proper diagnosis might have some value.

London Recompression & Hyperbaric facilities - The London Diving Chamber

(Emphasis added)

So you think you have a skin bend. What do you do now?

You are sure, not sure or just do not know. As in medicine, where 10 are gathered together there will be at least eleven opinions. If you are talking about it you have at least admitted to yourself or persuaded your colleague that there is a problem. Do not blame the symptoms on the medicine you took last week or a bad bowl of mussels

If you are on a dive boat, you should have O2 available – use it if you are reasonably sure of the diagnosis and your distress justifies it. Then speak to a diving doctor, preferably one with a chamber attached so that if things go pear shaped, you will not be arriving unannounced

If you are close enough to the chamber and the symptoms are thought to warrant it, you may be recompressed. My experience is that this is effective only in the first hour or two. Otherwise you sit it out for a few hours or a few days. In the world of modern diving, your skin bend now needs proper evaluation by a diving physician.

In general, you will have a better chance of getting expert advice (or insight beyond "Call DAN!") on questions such as this in the Dive Medicine and Ask Dr. Decompression forums.

It would probably help the more experienced divers help you if you posted your dive profile.

As being a novice diver myself, I would suggest contacting a doctor who is knowledgeable about diving or simply contacting DAN specifically
Contact DAN

Hope that helps

Good advice from PJ. Please post your dive profile. Purchasing DAN insurance is always a good idea. It helps support their free 24 hour call assistance and can save you heaps, especially if your 'national' health plan does not cover things.

Yeah yeah.

Back
Top Bottom