How would you handle this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A new MPA means no taking of anything. These are rare anywhere north of Florida, but all over South of there.

We have many MPAs in California. There was a large push last year to protect many regions and areas. While they are controversial (and not for me to say one way or another), it may go far in helping some species rebuild and keep other habitats healthy. But yes, it does affect many who fish and take game legally. It wasn't done without considerable discussion on all sides.

California Department of Fish & Game, Marine Life Protection Act, Central Coast Marine Protected Areas

I've got to say I see lots of disturbing issues in this whole episode. I have some legal background and see the boy may have a basis for a lawsuit or more but this is without knowing the whole story, very few if any here do.

I hate to see an open area for any use restricted and need to hear some compelling arguments why hunting should be band there. Maybe it should. If its that sensitive an area should diving be off limits there? Where's it end? I had the privilege to testify before my state legislator for a bill I thought was a no brainer and it didn't pass because of cost, small amount but everything cost.

The mob mentality is a little disturbing also about what should happen to this kid. He did something legal and was confronted by someone who didn't like it, things got heated, and now..... I'm sure many on here have done similar things when confronted, especially when you were 19 doing something legal, and had some coming after you

Gonna try to stop reading this thread now. Good luck to all involved

So just what is the drinking age in Washington state? Seeing how this boy is 19 and has, or had, pictures posted of himself intoxicated with firearms.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

So just what is the drinking age in Washington state? Seeing how this boy is 19 and has, or had, pictures posted of himself intoxicated with firearms.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
For some reason "legal drinking age" is NOT what worries me most in that sentence..

are you going to prove that he was intoxicated from pictures? that will amaze me the most...

...//... This was a mistake made from inexperience and unfamiliarity of the culture of diving. ...//...

My opinion, it might be worthwhile for us to revisit the diving culture our community is now exhibiting.

I would stick to the issue as stated by the OP, that of protecting the remaining octopi from the next "inexperienced" diver. Good could come of this. Poking into the diver's life on a public forum is, in my opinion, a very very slippery slope...

My opinion, it might be worthwhile for us to revisit the diving culture our community is now exhibiting.

I would stick to the issue as stated by the OP, that of protecting the remaining octopi from the next "inexperienced" diver. Good could come of this. Poking into the diver's life on a public forum is, in my opinion, a very very slippery slope...

[sarcasm] but if we ruin his life he will never, ever be able to hurt anything again. and if we do it real good like we might even turn him vegan[/sarcasm]

To my mind a 19 year old male is not a boy, he is a young man. Society has gone off on a weird tangent where nobody is responsible for their actions, and 19 year olds, who in some jurisdictions can drink, vote, get married or join the military are being described and treated like young children.

At 19 I had been living on my own for more than a year and would never have dreamed of having my parents stick up for me. I was responsible for my own actions.

To my mind a 19 year old male is not a boy, he is a young man. Society has gone off on a weird tangent where nobody is responsible for their actions, and 19 year olds, who in some jurisdictions can drink, vote, get married or join the military are being described and treated like young children.

At 19 I had been living on my own for more than a year and would never have dreamed of having my parents stick up for me. I was responsible for my own actions.
Over here youll be tried as an adult from age 15, legal sex age is 16, beer and wine you can legally drink from 18..
Nope, I definetly wont consider a 19-yearold a child.

When I was teaching high school, I used to try to give some life lessons. One of them was on uniforms. In the literal sense, wearing a uniform (as in the military) tells someone a whole lot about you. In our lives, we all wear uniforms. They are less formal than in the military, but they tell the public a lot about you. I told my students that everyone wears a uniform of their choosing, and people will judge who you are by the uniform you choose to wear. The uniform is your clothing, your hair style, your actions, and everything else you make public about yourself.

So this young man has concocted a uniform of the clothes he wears, his hairstyle, his actions, and the pictures he chose to put on FaceBook. He is telling the world how to judge him. When I look at that compilation of clues, I judge him first to be a skinhead, a young racist actively pushing his extremist views upon the world. I further judge him beyond that, when I see him display photos of guns on his FaceBook site (seriously--why are you so proud of your guns that you post them on FaceBook?) and when I see his photos of animal cruelty, I judge him to be a disturbed individual. No, I don't know him personally, so perhaps I am leaping to conclusions, but I am making a rational judgment based on the uniform he was wearing, and that uniform was one of his own choosing.

He is being judged by the public at large, but he is being judged by the clues he chose to provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom