How would you handle this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the warden never mentioned the sex of the octopus then where did "chrpai" got the idea from? Seattletimes? And where did Seattletimes got the info from?

... an interview with Dylan.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

facts people, they are everywhere.

A state game warden investigated the hunt and determined the animal, a male octopus weighing about 80 pounds, had been legally hunted

Diver surprised by reaction to his octopus hunt | Local News | The Seattle Times

or is that a lie and we should be believing bob and his lynch mob?

Reactions: Ana
ot trying to defend this kid and what he did, but I just dont like all the blame being put on his shoulders. Bye the way, it was a good kill and i hope he takes it home and cooks it up. either cook it for 5 mins or for 5 hours,,,anything inbetween will just make it tough. I learned to love octopus and how to cook it while stationed in the Azore islands back in the 80s.

O.K. How about sharing the recipe? How long did you leave your catch on the back of your pickup bed, loose and then splayed out on the driveway or garage floor before butcher ing your octopus?

Last edited by a moderator:
O.K. How about sharing the recipe? How long did you leave your catch on the back of your pickup bed, loose and then splayed out on the driveway or garage floor before butcher ing your octopus?

as far as a recipe....taco poke is my favortie. Sesame oil, sesame seeds, green onion and some soy sauce.

as to the 2nd question, About the same length I probably would have left any fish, lobster, crab...etc...in my cooler (like that's better than a pickup bed?) and then on my garage floor before I properly cleaned it and put in my pot or freezer.....

The kid did nothing illegal! What I consider to be the norm may not be someone else's norm. This is why societies are built around laws instead of norms. If someone is operating within established laws and you go out and confront him then that makes you a VIGILANTE whereas he is still a "law-abiding citizen." Even glorified mythical Vigilantes like Batman and Superman enforced established laws. Comics would become utterly ridiculous if Vigilantes went about enforcing "unwritten norms."

Here is what it is looking like:

One older man sees a teenager pulling an octopus out of water and sees that as a perfect opportunity to approach and bully the kid. What would a 19 year old know about conservation laws right? He could just approach this kid in an authoritarian "cop-like" tone and the kid should buckle under and start apologizing. The old man would then go home as the victorious crusader of the scenario and mentally replay this act of heroism in his mind over and over again. Well it didn't turn out that way. The kid did not come under pressure and told the old man that he knew he was hunting within the law so ... get lost! After that, all the rage was about some "unwritten code of honor among divers" that got violated. Excuse me???

I love the ocean. I am a photographer and I believe in shooting wild life strictly with a camera. I also feel that in some areas, stricter laws need to be placed to preserve wild life. This whole issue seems more about one person not getting the answer they had hoped for.

Are you serious? My son was 12 when he got his first daisy. The first thing I taught him you eat what you kill. I did not want my kid going around killing all the birds in the neighborhood. The "kid" was never taught. Why should he not know about conservation, you think it is hard to teach a child not to kill for killing sake?

Someone obviously taught this boy his pleasure outweighs all else. That seems to be the outlook of too many today. That is the heart of the problem. IMO

Interesting debate that seems to have gone viral. If we start condeming 20 yo old scuba divers for brash and stupid statements and exhibiting bravado that comes with being 20 something, please don't make it retroactive, I fear that scubaboard would be greatly and rapidly depopulated.

A few years ago I had the audacity to question the advocacy by major dive shops and boat operators in Socal that "monster bugs" be brought to the surface, photographed, and released back into the wild. As it turns out, this is a major campaign complete with poster in nearly evey dive venue etc. And since diving for lobsters is even legal in most marine protected areas, that distriction does not really help the lobster. Taking a lobster does cause stress to the animal, although the exhibitor does get some kind of boost to the ego from having his picture taken with the lobster. I was not prepared for the response that I got defending the practice.

So, except for consumption, what is the difference between what this young man did and the catch and release (or take and torture as some Alaska Natives refer to the practice)? GPO is a charismatic megafauna representative of the NW, is that what is fueling the indignation? From what I understnad, few giant lobster are taken without a struggle, damage, and stress and turning a crustacean into an air breather seems particularly cruel, at which point killing and consuming it is an anti-climax. Or is this part of a larger anti-hunting effort (I will not use the term "anti-sportsmen" since the post harvest conduct was hardly sporting). One diver's passive enjoyment of wildlife does not mean another's active harvest wrong, just different.

If you are going to havest legally, take what you can eat and eat all you take, otherwise leave it alone.

Thx but would still like to hear from Flodad with regard to his recipe and the pickup/garage floor..

I had a friend that was known for killing a deer on his way to work in the evenings and would hang and bleed it from his truck, before butchering it when he got home, several hours later...

Interesting debate that seems to have gone viral. If we start condeming 20 yo old scuba divers for brash and stupid statements and exhibiting bravado that comes with being 20 something, please don't make it retroactive, I fear that scubaboard would be greatly and rapidly depopulated.

A few years ago I had the audacity to question the advocacy by major dive shops and boat operators in Socal that "monster bugs" be brought to the surface, photographed, and released back into the wild. As it turns out, this is a major campaign complete with poster in nearly evey dive venue etc. And since diving for lobsters is even legal in most marine protected areas, that distriction does not really help the lobster. Taking a lobster does cause stress to the animal, although the exhibitor does get some kind of boost to the ego from having his picture taken with the lobster. I was not prepared for the response that I got defending the practice.

So, except for consumption, what is the difference between what this young man did and the catch and release (or take and torture as some Alaska Natives refer to the practice)? GPO is a charismatic megafauna representative of the NW, is that what is fueling the indignation? From what I understnad, few giant lobster are taken without a struggle, damage, and stress and turning a crustacean into an air breather seems particularly cruel, at which point killing and consuming it is an anti-climax. Or is this part of a larger anti-hunting effort (I will not use the term "anti-sportsmen" since the post harvest conduct was hardly sporting). One diver's passive enjoyment of wildlife does not mean another's active harvest wrong, just different.

If you are going to havest legally, take what you can eat and eat all you take, otherwise leave it alone.
You are going off in a tangent that is not what this thread went crazy over....Your issue is best answered by the way it represents two separate user groups, and where one user group will absolutely destroy the use of the OTHER user group if given the chance.

At the Cove, valid user groups of sight-seers, photographers, videographers and even hook and line fisherman can co-exist without harming each other's enjoyment of the resource. However, allow a "hunter user group" to come in and harvest at will, and a huge part of the resource is destroyed for all other user groups except the hook and line fisherman..... This is, to me, a strong arguement to ban all hunting and collection in such a resource. Fortunately, up till now, the hunters have been "real hunters", and they never considered hunting in a petting zoo type area like this. We could wish that the Hunters, as a user group, could strip such an offender of their "hunter" status, if they were to continue such behaviors regardless of the backlash....but unfortunately, the "Hunters" have no such control of the tiny percentage that could be deviants among them..that would be deviants in general society as well. All the Hunters can really do is express their reactions, but if the deviant chooses to proceed, there is no method of dealing with the issue other than lobbying for a new law--something neither the Hunters, or divers in general, would normally want.
Given the general reactions to this thread, it would appear that virtually EVERYONE is demanding that we begin lobbying for a law or a legal ban on hunting at sites like the Cove or BHB.
This is actually kind of surprising to me, that posters like DD and ReckDiver would really want laws and rules enacted to make spearing or hunting or collecting at a site like the BHB actually illegal. But by their decision to consider the normative ethics as irrelevant, and to suggest the only way this incident could properly proceed is via lobbying for new laws, they have actually become a contingent of the Hunting camp which is calling for bans in some local spots, for hunting or spearing....Amazing!

You are going off in a tangent that is not what this thread went crazy over....Your issue is best answered by the way it represents two separate user groups, and where one user group will absolutely destroy the use of the OTHER user group if given the chance.

At the Cove, valid user groups of sight-seers, photographers, videographers and even hook and line fisherman can co-exist without harming each other's enjoyment of the resource. However, allow a "hunter user group" to come in and harvest at will, and a huge part of the resource is destroyed for all other user groups except the hook and line fisherman.....

I am not sure who confers the status of "validity". Up here we have a similar area. We worked togehter to get it turned into a marine park after industrailization threatened access by a variety of user groups. And spearfishing is banned in the confines of the park. It was done through the political process, in the open, with opportunities for input by the affected parties. In the absence of this legitimacy, we are left with passions but no resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom