How would you handle this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Facebook rounds here in Oahu.

Nice work Bob.

Hope you all are able to establish a protected area in Cove II which will safeguard against incidents like this in the future.

It's quite disturbing.

Seems like you are on the right track. Making it difficult to obtain gas is a good start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, I really wouldn't worry too much about this guy. Looking at the fb pics, he's a dumbass, and he's gonna do something really stupid and become just another statistic.
It's been my experience, working in medicine that those who are really mean or nasty just can't seem to get killed off, despite all the stupid things they do. ( like drug dealers,and plain old jerks) unfortunately, Darwin seems to save them for some sort of genetic diversity.

....................Well, it's a protected area now. I don't think a hunter in a non-protected area should be subjected to "wrath"..............

By "wrath" I mean that they are usually engaged in a discussion about what they did and why the rest of the divers would appreciate it if they stopped. :D I see nothing wrong with expressing my opinion about the fact that just because it's legal doesn't make it right.

Dam, this thread is crazy.... i thought the Scuba Police were a myth but i guess most of us where way wrong about that.

i think its great you guys are going to try and make that spot a protected area. maybe one day ill get to dive it all the way over there... ( I wana see some big o' octos :depressed:) i personally would not have had such a big deal with it if he would of been a more real about it. You know like "oh, yea, you know its legal to do it here tho i really dont plan on coming to catch em here it here often. this is quite a nice place to see them " etc. But he seems to be quite a douche so @#$! him.

Also im pretty sure a good lawyer can tern all the crap on this thread into a pretty fair harassment case. If not that some other accusation. Remember, to some ppl life is not always about right or wrong its about the $$$. Even if there really isnt a case, doesnt mean they cant try, and at the very least they make you loss some $ defending.

Good luck on you guys goal!

I felt like I was punched in the gut when I read all this, as I am local and dive Cove 2 like so many other divers. Hopefully we can turn this into a positive. Here is one local news station's report:
Octopus pictures spark outrage online | KING5.com Seattle

I have been thinking how I would have handled the situation if I were in Bob's shoes, and I don't know if I would have had the guts to grab the octo and attempt to put it back in.

Last edited:
There's a perfectly good legal option for stopping this sort of behaviour -- make it a Marine Protected Area. And it looks as though NWGratefulDiver plans on using all the publicity generated to do just that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom