How would you handle this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A very difficult dilemma. Since what the jerk is doing is technically legal your actions are limited. If it was a hunting situation here in NY, you could not even try to interrupt his hunt in any way without yourself being a law breaker (NOT saying it isn't an option, but it could have consequences)

Shaming him may or may not be effective, as he is obviously not a particularly sensitive human being.

Drawing the attention of the public, and other divers as Bob is doing may make the fellow uncomfortable, but then again it could bring the AH publicity he seeks.

I am not a fan of making new laws every time something goes wrong, or someone is unhappy, but it does sound like the site would make a good reserve, deserving protection.

Someone should get that kid to Caribbean pronto, and change his MO to Lionfish . . . otherwise, once you've disrupted his happy hunting grounds, bored, he may find himself picking off local divers instead of octo.

As far as his rights regarding public disclosure, I'm of two minds. Happily, he seems to brag on his ownself and loves any attention so would be hard pressed to complain in court.

Social networking is an amazing thing ... but I don't do Facebook.

I just got another call from a local TV station.

We need to harness all this energy and turn it into something positive ... the question is how.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
i know you don't fb. that's why i told you here! yes, i think something positive would be great. maybe a sanctuary area? if that came about, it would almost make that poor mama's sacrifice worth it.

Hey, I really wouldn't worry too much about this guy. Looking at the fb pics, he's a dumbass, and he's gonna do something really stupid and become just another statistic.

You can say what you like about Darwin, but it doesn't always turn out that way. In any event, seems like there's some 'pathology' involved here, hmmm . . .

It's making the Facebook rounds among Texas divers too.

i wouldnt be so a rash as to try and ban an entire legal activity just because of one nitwit. to have the area deemed a sanctuary is one thing, to ban hunting altogether is another. you have to be very careful with situations like this because sometimes after the ball gets rolling, it is very difficult to slow it back down. i would contact the wildlife management in the area and local legislature. the biggest weapon you have to get the area protected is the revenue that diving brings to the area. when the octopus no longer nest in that area because they no longer feel safe, the amount of diving revenue could also decrease. how many people come to that area just to see them? im betting quite a bit.

In fact, I just got a "news feed" via an acquaintance in Texas.

i wouldnt be so a rash as to try and ban an entire legal activity just because of one nitwit. to have the area deemed a sanctuary is one thing, to ban hunting altogether is another. you have to be very careful with situations like this because sometimes after the ball gets rolling, it is very difficult to slow it back down. i would contact the wildlife management in the area and local legislature. the biggest weapon you have to get the area protected is the revenue that diving brings to the area. when the octopus no longer nest in that area because they no longer feel safe, the amount of diving revenue could also decrease. how many people come to that area just to see them? im betting quite a bit.

Another good idea. A lot of people nowadays talk and care about the environment. Even more people (not just nowadays), especially politicians, care about money (and votes).

and Toronto divers.

Good luck Bob! Hope you are successful in making it a MPA...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom