Hows about some feedback on Maya Palms in Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys,

A few buddies of mine are thinking about a trip to Maya Palms south of Cancun late this year. Everything I've read seems really positive. Has anybody been lately. I am not really concerned about the diving because usually that is pretty hard to screw up in my opinion. Generally anything wet works for me!!!! I am more interested in the resort itself, like the rooms, the food, the adult beverages, etc.

Thanks in advance!!!

Ed

We just completed a wonderful trip to Maya Palms from October 14-19. My wife and I were the only guests at the resort for 4 of the 5 days and we were spoiled by Ken and Mark. Ken served as divemaster and chef. Mark provided for all of our needs.

It is a 4.5 hour drive from the Cancun airport, but the trip is well worth it. The rooms were clean and comfortable with lots of counter space for laying out your gear. There was plenty of storage for clothes. The electrical power for the resort is provided by their own generator that they ran from 6:00 pm to 6:00 am. We used the air conditioner at night and the rooms were comfortable during rhe day with the windows open for the sea breeze.

The resort is directly on the water with a nice beach. The resort provided lounge chairs on the beach for our daily use.

The meals were exceptional from a roast pork loin to Cuban beef and fresh fish. We enjoyed lots of fresh fruit and vegetables.

Ed,

I would not discount the importance of a good dive site. Sure, all diving is good, but some dive sites are better than others. Some are way better. The diving at Maya Palms is the best I've seen in 30 years of diving. You won't board a crowded dive boat there, and you probably won't even see another dive boat during your entire stay at the resort. The reefs just 200 yards offshore are unblemished, teeming with turtles, barracuda, large angelfish, and a myriad of other marine life rarely seen elsewhere. On a couple of dives, a 3 foot remora swam with us, circled us, and seemed to want to latch onto us; a cool connection with a beautiful creature. The coral includes barrel sponges several feet in diameter. My teenage son & I just returned from another great week at Maya Palms (this was our second year there), and the diving there has spoiled us.

Like most people who go there, we flew into Cancun, rented a car, and enjoyed a pleasant drive down the Yucatan Peninsula. We devoured some excellent tacos at a sidewalk cafe along the way, one of many local restaurants en route. (North of Tulum is still part of the Cancun tourist territory, so avoid stopping until past Tulum - about 1 hour south of Cancun - where the countryside becomes authentic Mexico.) Maya Palms is very hospitable, with private villas, plentiful drinkable water, air conditioning, electric, and fresh flower petals strategically placed throughout the rooms (fresh ones daily). The meals are 5 star, with particular emphasis placed on your peculiar tastes. Yes, they have a bar (very nicely done) with beachside and/or poolside service at your beck and call.

The nearby town of Mahahual is a blend of quaint fishing village and happening local town. Cruise ships are starting to return to that area, so the town hosts nice restaurants, bars & shops, but mostly it’s just a quiet local town reflecting authentic Mexico. Mayan ruins are plentiful a short drive away.

The owners have struck a nice chord with Maya Palms resort. It has bed-and-breakfast charisma with personal divemaster attention. Spend a few days there and you’ll really appreciate the difference an immaculate dive site and outstanding service can make.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom