How's diving in Dominica

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reel Crazy14

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Was thinking about goin there this summer.....
Does anybody have any experience with this place? How was the diving? Are there activities on land that are worth doing? Thanks for any replies

This is my first post. I went to Punta Cana two years ago and did four dives on the Atlantic side and two dives on the Carribean side. Did the Armstrong wreck, Its visible above the surface and goes down to fifty feet. . On the Carribean side, I did a wall that starts at twenty feet and goes to 128 feet. Plenty of small operators on the beach fronts to take you out. Overall very good. Went in March, water temps were 76 and air temp in the eightys. Land activities included sailing,parasailing,windsurfing,kayaking, just about anything goes.

Punta Cana is in the Dominican Republic, which is a different country than Dominica.

Dominica is supposed to have good diving, especially if you are into macro life. Topside has good nature oriented activities including hiking, waterfalls, etc.. Forget about shopping and/or fancy resorts.

Reel Crazy14 once bubbled...
Was thinking about goin there this summer.....
Does anybody have any experience with this place? How was the diving? Are there activities on land that are worth doing? Thanks for any replies

Inexpensive with good diving and great hiking in the rain forest and up the (inactive) volcano.

Don't expect to find many big fish there, but look for lots of little critters - shrimp, small eels, crabs, etc.

Now I'm Confused. Are talking about Dominica or the Dominican Republic :froggy: :froggy:

stevsgarage once bubbled...
Now I'm Confused. Are talking about Dominica or the Dominican Republic :froggy: :froggy:

Reel Crazy 4 said Dominica - I assume Dominica, NOT the Dominican Republic - is what he meant.

yeh dominica...the island one, I heard it from someone and assumed it was the DR too until i did some more research

I grew up on the island, lived there for 11 years, while my father taught at an American medical school on the island. I actually went back 2 years ago to get certified and dived down there for about 2 weeks. I don;t know anything about the Dominican Republic so if you are interested in Dominica PM me with any questions you have and I will be happy to help.

I spent a week diving in Dominica this past June. My wife and I had a terrific time. The diving is similar to Bonaire in that you will mostly see small fish and critters, etc.

We stayed at Castle Comfort Inn, which was rather small, but very cozy with good meals, etc. We also stayed for one night at Fort Young Hotel (due to our flight being delayed for one day due to weather), which was more upscale, but not as cozy. We used Dive Dominica (on the grounds of Castle Comfort Inn), which we would recommend without reservation.

Aside from the diving (which to date is my wife's favorite, and my second favorite (second to Bonaire)), Dominica offers a lot of opportunities on land. The hiking is incredible, and if you go, you should definitely take time to hike to the Boiling Lake, Middleham Falls, etc.

All in all, I would say that Dominica has been our favorite vacation spot to date, and we will definitely go back one of these days.

Feel free to pm if you have any further questions.

Jacob

10 of us form the Panama City Dive club stayed at the Ft. Young hotel in Dominica for 7 days over Thanksgiving. We dove twice a day with Dive Doninica. The diving is fantastic (no large creatures, no sharks) lots of spotted morays. I have been all over the Carib., Saba, Roatan, St Lucia, St. Kitts and the Bahamas- Dominica is the best!. Just small. After diving, there is so much to do that no one will be bored. Ft. Young hotel sets up tours all over the island. There are NO scuba repair facilities on Dominica so take care to have your equipment in good shape before you go. You can rent stuff there if somthing breaks, but you can't get it fixed! Also there is no recompression chamber on the island either HAVE DAN insurance!

Have a good time.

Back
Top Bottom