HP vs. LP Steel tanks. Whats the difference ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dont know the actual hydro numbers but Im positive "gut feeling" they are pressured up WAY OVER 2400 psi for testing. This overfill will certainly reduce the life of the tank if its expanded many times to over 3000 psi as to the Manufacture rating of 2400 psi. So what do you want....

If it ruptures at 3000psi, well it was time for that tank to go. the ambient temp will be higher than the water temps normally unless your fromthe extreme North. This cool water will reduce the pressure some also.

Its all over every day. I am a air hog so Im going to enjoy me some LP 108's!

Plus usage with my full face mask... I got air to spare!

Steve

I dont know the actual hydro numbers but Im positive "gut feeling" they are pressured up WAY OVER 2400 psi for testing. This overfill will certainly reduce the life of the tank if its expanded many times to over 3000 psi as to the Manufacture rating of 2400 psi. So what do you want....

3AA tanks are hydro tested to 5/3's working pressure, so in this case they test at 4000psi. The tanks are designed for a life of 10 000 cycles at test pressure. I am in no way condoning over filling tanks, but there is a good safety margin with 3AA tanks (which was put there for safety purposes, not so you could overfill them). High pressure special permit or exemption tanks don't have quite the same margin built into them.

With LP tanks you may choose to double up the burst disc, use a higher rated one, or get rid of it altogether.

It is then possible to overfill them to a greater capacity than their LP counterparts.

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I was not able to find a thread for it.

I am unclear on the difference between HP and LP tanks. I know HP are rated at 3442 and LP at 2400. I have heard that a LP108 is basicly the same as a HP130

108 at 2400PSI vs. 130 at 3442PSI

I believe 108 is actually a 104 cuf tank and it holds that amount at 2400 + 10% psi not at 2400

They also have different buoyancy characteristics , I believe HP130 is more tail heavy than 104/108

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom