HSA Training ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MooreaMike

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone know of an organization where I can get HSA training, with or without existing Divemaster rating?? I am aware of Jim Elliot and Diveheart, but having difficulty contacting them.

Thanks!!

Just note that "sustaining" means inactive. I just took another look, and there are quite a few "sustaining". Depending on what course you want, your best bet might be the CD in Canton.

Enjoy your course.

Dive Buddy training can be done by any active H.S.A. Instructor. Dive Master/Instructor training must be done by an active H.S.A. Course Director.

I will be sponsoring class in the Los Angeles area the last weekend of October. If you are interested in having a class you can sponsor one and schedule it in your local area. What is required to sponsor a class? Each course director is free to set their own fees. Most charge $1,200 plus travel, hotel, food and gas. The charge for each student is set by the sponsor or the course director and is normally about $325 for Dive Buddy and $375 for Dive Master/Instructor but as local overhead cost may vary the charges may vary as well.

I normally bring in Denise Dowd, H.S.A. course director #10. One of the most experienced and prolific adaptive instrucors in the country and she works daily with the paralyzed individuals. She has been involved with H.S.A. since the beginning. Jim Elliott is also quite good and Dive Heart picks up part of his tab so that brings the cost down. Jim Gatacre, the founder is still teaching as well.

If you are just looking to get Dive Buddy Training any active H.S.A. instructor can do that. One H.S.A. instructor is moving to St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands September 12th and you could take a "working" vacation there. Of course I am available to teach in the Los Angeles area for Dive Buddy as well.

As has been mentioned there are several "sustaining" members. Sustaining means they have not paid their dues for this year. They could re-instate by paying their dues which are very reasonable.

Mike,
Check with HSA international on line to see if there is an it near you. The short answer to your question about being certified to do HSA training is YES. It is in fact the best way to help others.
If you need help finding someone contact me.

Thanks for all of the info. I believe I'll initially go with the Dive Buddy program, but I'll have to find a location to do it. I was attempting to complete in conjunction with my Divemaster cert at Utila Dive Center (guess where??) but seems they do not have the instructor. I will double check with Andy there, possibly another Bay Islands operation?? Or maybe I'll just have to go back after UDC received their training from Diveheart sometime during 2011.

Is there an easy way to look up active HSA instructors in an specific geography?? Or is that on the HSA International site??

There is a Course Director who can teach you in Canton Michigan.

Since you will be a DM by then, you will want to take the DM/INstructors course. Here is the deal, There difference in taking the Dive Buddy course and the DM/Instructor course is as follows: 1. Diffent book (DM/Instructors has more pages) and 2. You answer a few more questions on the final exam. Otherwise the training is the same. I orginally took the DB course and later became inspired to teach adaptive diving and became a DM and then instructor. Ofcourse once I became a DM I had to retake the course as a DM. If you are an HSA DM and move to instructor you just have to apply for a new card. So you will want to save some time and in the long run money and just take the DM course to begin with.

Just note that "sustaining" means inactive. I just took another look, and there are quite a few "sustaining". Depending on what course you want, your best bet might be the CD in Canton.

Enjoy your course.

Sustaining means they have not renewed for the year and may not award HSA certifications. To move to active they only need to provide proof of insurance and pay their annual registration which is very reasonable.

Thanks for the insight. I'm having difficulty using the HSA directory. For example not finding any results for either MIchigan nor Illinois nor most places, but found 4 in Mexico (all in Cozumal) and 3 on Utila. But, none in Canada. Seems I am either doing something wrong or the site is not fully functional.

Knowing what you said, I'll go for the full Monty the first time around. That is what Jim was teaching the other divers and divemasters when I was in Cozumel the same time/place as Diveheart. I also (by chance timing) participated in the initial Wounded Warriors dive program on Bonaire. It was wonderful experience and I wish I could have done more that just support and carry stuff.

Back
Top Bottom