Hull Cleaning Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hey guys,
I own and run a dive /mechanical service in jersey. I work in some of the best marinas and make good money,Ionly use a bottle and found the hooka system to be difficult to work with,what I was hoping one of you could help me with was this,there is a brush system out there for cleaning from dockside without going in !anybody got anything?if you wanna know anything from the jersey side look me up at mnydvr@msn.com

prices for hull cleaning in so. cal start at $1.05 to $1.25 up to 30 feet. then 10 cents more per foot per 10 feet after that . good luck starting your own business this is a very competitive trade . most owners pick a diver and stick with them for years

I ve got some customers going on 5yrs.,most are business men travling the country or even the world,my only job......make sure its good to go , WHENEVER they want it !!

Average rate per foot here is $4.00 and up to as much as $10.00 per foot depending upon growth.
Very little competition due to water and regulations. Not just anybody can clean boats here... marinas will not let you in without workers comp, commercial marina and general liability insurance... Noone likes getting into pollution... so I make a killing doing it... but It'll probably kill me : ) (knock on wood)

I get people screaming about 3or 4 on these mega yachts heading down to you from up north,drop me a line ; mnydvr@msn.com I'm Danny

I get people screaming about 3or 4 on these mega yachts heading down to you from up north,drop me a line ; mnydvr@msn.com I'm Danny

They scream here too… I tell them to enjoy their slow trip and higher fuel bill.

Of course here – I have very little competition. There are only (literally) a hand full of guys cleaning boats in the Baltimore Harbor. Every year a few newbies start out and after a few weeks they’re done. You’d have to be an idiot to clean boats here for $1 - $2 a foot. You’d be doing it for free. On average if we do 600 jobs a season, our expenses are $40 per job or $24,000 for workers comp, general liability and commercial marina insurance. That’s before all the other expenses tolls and gas to and from, employee payroll, equipment and supplies etc… Charging $2 a foot… we’d have to 12000 ft of boats / 300 – 40 ft. boats before we paid the expenses and put a single $1.00 in our pocket. That’s insane. Then in the end we’d make $24,000.00 for busting our rear ends on the next 300 boats.

This is the harshest of conditions… so when a guy driving a million dollar boat complains about my price, I flat out tell him “well then do it yourself.” They always respond that they’re not getting in that water. Of course pricing also depends on haul out availability. Our prices… as high as they seem… are still only about half of what a haul-out cost locally. So that 40 footer can pay $320 for a haul out or $160 to me. The $160 is a much better deal not just for the money savings, but the headache of doing a haul out and the stress it places on the boat.

I had a guy with a 94 ft 3.5 Million dollar boat ask me to check a vibration (he thought he’s wrapped a line) on his prop. He asked me how much and I told in $95.00… he shook his head and said “that’s too much, I’ll give you $50.00.” I told him I don’t get out of bed for $50… this ain’t a negotiation… enjoy your vibration,” and I walked away from him.

If you’re in an area where everybody with a dive certification is jumping in the water.. and marinas aren’t requiring insurance… I’d say you’re pretty much screwed. You’re screwed if marinas are hauling out for $2 - $4 a foot… but as long as you’re cheaper than a haul out, offer more convenience and educate them on the stress haul-outs place on a hull… you’re good to go.

I get the same thing. Guys pull into the fuel docks and by a couple thousand dollars in fuel and wine about spending a hundred to get the prop's cleaned. The insurance is so expensive you can't do it part-time. The average pull-out is a couple hundred and that's just the haul out. They won't let you work on your own boat on the lift so you have to pay again to get it cleaned. I do it for a quarter of the price while they drink beer and relax. Even if you do the work full time it still takes hours each day to do paperwork, return phone calls and clean equipment. The money is good but when you add it all up over the year and divide by the hours you really work it's peanuts!! That's peanuts for putting on your suit and jumping in the middle of oil and floating toilet paper. We get quite a few new companies every year but when the water gets muddy and the nettles are all down your suit and on your lips they disapper fast. I love it though..can't wait to get in again tomorrow.

Chuck

So the insanity begins and the phone keeps ringin' when did I say I was gonna Take vacation? OOOOOHH yeah,that was back in dec. when I was too busy winterizing!!:no

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom