Hull Cleaning Information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No, I'm not doing it...yet. Also, I'm not claiming there's no competition, or that you can actually make a living doing it. Only that you can make a few extra $$$ doing it to help supplement other things you're doing and that it's probably not as hard as you're making it sound.

Like I said, I was talking to someone who's been a full-time cruiser for a few years. He gave me a list of a bunch of things you can do to make money while cruising. Not just ideas, but things he and friends of his have been doing to make money while cruising.

Hull cleaning...especially large yachts was one of those things. You need to hustle a little to get the work, but it is doable.

That's very similar to the thread I was following on Cruisersforum. There are some valid points in there, but there are also loop holes and workarounds for some of those problems. For example, undeveloped poorer countries = cash is king. No permit. A few $$$ to the right person eliminates that problem. Not saying I haven't heard stories of people being deported, though, too.

Of course freelancing from the boat, preferably only part of the year is still my #1 plan. That and maybe running charters eventually. Once again part of the year...unless of course I'm wintering in the keys, USVI, or PR.

Key is offering a service that locals can't/don't provide and not and/or not competing for the same clients.

Well I have tons of questions :) I have sent a few emails to the companies that have talked on this board but what do you guys think is a good way to get business BESIDES WORD OF MOUTH (You need people in order for them to talk:) in other words advertising? as stated earlier most people dont switch. I told a good friend of mine i had started a business and he said he had bee using the same company for 11 years (their a very well known one too) so how do i lure people in?

one thing i have thought of is t shirts, magnets on the car with info, lettering on my boat, etc. a lot of the marinas up here are super ritzy :( meaning no flyers and stuff...

I have also started a website :) this forum wont let me post it on this post so if you want to look ill send it to u if u give info I would like harsh feedback on everything :)
thanks

Well, you have learned a hard lesson early- building a clientele is slow going. You're right, the newbie hull cleaner is not going to lure satisfied customers away from established dive services. And contrary to popular belief, most advertising methods are ineffective. I've done many print ads, all of them next to worthless. Signage on my trucks. I've bought space at marine flea markets, put up a pop-up tent, had big signs made, all to little avail. The ony advertising that has ever worked for me is to put my business card up in every possible spot a boater might see it. Bulletin boards in marinas, chandleries, harbormaster's offices etc. That, and word of mouth are the only things that have ever really generated any new business for me. I too, have a web site, and it does bring in a few clients now and then, not much. But I think to be legitimate, you need to have an online presence, regardless of how much business it generates (or not).

I used to take a day a week and make the rounds, making sure my cards were up. I worked nights for 5 years while growing my dive business until I could quit and dive full-time. It's a tough row to hoe, no doubt about it. You just gotta stick to it, provide really good customer service and eventually, you will grow the business.

True.... After the first month how many clients or jobs did u have?!?!
Well, we're talkin' 15 years ago, so the memory is a bit hazy, but I remember coming home from work every night for many weeks and checking the answering machine for calls. I gotta say I probably went a month or two easy before I even had my first call.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom