Hunting in Washington

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jeff=Dive

Registered
Reaction score
You mean, Home Port: Mukielto WA. It's been descri
# of dives
25 - 49
I wanted to keep this specific to WA since that's where I'm at, and I have a couple of questions since I'm a noob at this.

I'm curious to know what ya'll hunt in the area, and what you use to bag the kill. Is it better to use a speargun or a triton? both of which I have no idea how to use. Since crab season is kinda short, I'd like to know what fish are good for catching and how long the season lasts. I'm limited to shore diving, and would like to stay north of seattle.

There are two camps on underwater hunting. As divers get more involved with the underwater world, the hunting seems to fade out to a more conservative viewpoint. Personally, I have nothing against either camps, and am all for hunting as long as it is not just to kill and waste. As far as hunting...too each his own. Ling cod (although not much of a hunting challenge), is very good eating, and there is a season for it here. I believe it is three weeks this year and starts towards the end of May.

I would highly suggest calling “TL Sea” dive center in Des Moines. Not to the North as you hoped, but they are really into hunting, and actually have a specialty course next month in which they will teach you to hunt, teach you about the various equip, and take you out opening Ling day on a charter boat for a hunt. I believe it is an actual PADI cert. I think the course is around $175 and includes the boat and dive(s), and they have a big barbecue (or some kind of get together) afterwards to enjoy the fish and other sea foods. It is a big deal for them, and you’d probably enjoy it. Spot are limited due to the boat, so call soon if your interested. I missed out last year by waiting too long to sign up.

Their web site has info on it: www.tlsea.com

-Steve

As a confirmed NON-seafood eater, I continually tease my diving friends when, after a dive, they eat fish! Hey, you've just been invited into their house and now you are eating them?

Jeff=Dive-

Both spear guns or "tritons" better known as a pole spear have their uses. Spear guns can take down any fish you will find, they cost alot more than a pole spear but are very easy to shoot fish with, I find the major drawback to be loading the gun after you shoot it.

A pole spear in experienced hands will take more fish than a diver with a spear gun, it takes quite a bit of practice to become profiencent with a pole spear but the majority of PNW divers find a pole spear to be way more practical than a spear gun, and you still can take any fish you find I know guys who have taken 50lbs lingcond with pole spears.

With pole spears you will find a few different tips, the most popular is a "paralyzer tip", a trident tip also works well.

As far a spear fishing and shore diving are concerend the best place is around Neah bay, if your interested we will be heading out there in a few weeks PM me if you want to go or if you have any more questions

JUMBO

I use a pole spear about 80 percent of the time for rockfish and smaller stuff. I prefer a speargun for ling cod. I do most of my underwater hunting in Oregon since Washington has such short seasons for most fish. I have found pole spears to be the most useful and a heck of lot faster than banding up a speargun underwater.

I really hate to see divers taking fish at local shore dive spots, even where it is legal. It ruins it for those coming behind who want to see the fish too.

Now that I've gotten that out of the way... plenty of spearfishing to be done out toward Neah Bay.

we are doing some hunting in neah bay. We have a Neah Bay charter scheduled with the Porthole Dive Boat scheduled for Sunday June 17th through June 19th. Six dives in Neah Bay over three days. Accommodations and Travel are covered. if you would like to join our charter email me at pbortel@pegasusllc.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom