Husband falls on boat, wife sues the skipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tiki_bill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Dad drowns in tragic scuba diving accident after wife tells him she is pregnant | Latest News | Latest Breaking News | Daily Star. Simply The Best 7 Days A Week

This is ridiculous. She's gonna sue the skipper because her husband slipped on the boat? Unbelievable.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

this thread has been moved from the accidents and Incidents forum as a thread already exists on this incident here http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...ational-diver-after-fall-board-mv-elaine.html

To remain on topic, the discussion here ought to focus on the lawsuit. Marg, SB Senior Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
This is sad, but this guy was evidently a highly trained instructor. Goes to show that anybody can sue you for anything!

And I thought nonsense like this only happened in the States

I call BS on the following quote from the article:

"He suffered severe lacerations to his liver but was given the all-clear to dive by skipper Andrew Cuthbertson, the inquest at Birmingham heard."

It suggests the skipper was providing medical advice. More likely the conversation went like this:

diver: I'm fine and I would like to go on with the dive
skipper: It's up to you

I call BS on the following quote from the article:

"He suffered severe lacerations to his liver but was given the all-clear to dive by skipper Andrew Cuthbertson, the inquest at Birmingham heard."

It suggests the skipper was providing medical advice. More likely the conversation went like this:

diver: I'm fine and I would like to go on with the dive
skipper: It's up to you

I agree. That was either poorly written by the reporter or Skipper Cuthbertson was lacking proper MRI technicians in his sickbay.

Will have to see how this plays out.

My sympathy goes out to his family and friends.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

the dive trip was last August. The Star article, dated today, says she "plans to sue" the captain and company.

Unclear to me whether she found a lawyer who has told her suit will be filed? It may be just her venting to a reporter.

I feel bad for her, it's awful, but a diver with that advanced-looking "kit", going to 80+ meters, is not a poor lost little OW student, he's the one who decides if he's fit to dive--not the captain, absent much more obvious symptoms. Or is she planning to say the conditions were too rough, all should've been confined to their seats, so no one could slip and fall? Either way I don't get it as a matter of logic.

I understand why she may not view this tragedy logically vice emotionally. But most lawyers should know better (assuming our speculation as to how the second-dive "interview" went is reasonably correct, which we don't know yet I suppose).

It appears the skipper could not produce a risk assessment (RA), to Captain Gavin Pritchard, an inspector for the Marine Accidents Investigation Branch, for fully kitted divers walking around the deck to the entry point.

I wouldn't be surprised if the trip organiser was next in line to be sued.

Back
Top Bottom