Hydration ?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Holy crap! I run multiple marathons, triathlons, and ultra marathons a year and I don't even hydrate that much prior to a race! I start maybe 3 days before a race! Your bladder must hate you!

Last edited:
Holy crap! I run multiple marathons, triathlons, and ultra marathons a year and I don't even hydrate that much prior to a race! I start maybe 3 days before a race! Your bladder must hate you!
Were you talking to James R...?
My normal day includes drinking a 40oz Klean Kanteen bottle 6 or 7 times, which is around 2gal of water. I drink one cup of coffee in the morning as well. If I am going diving, it's generally not any different. I bring two 40oz bottles for a two-tank charter and will usually have them both down by the time we're done. My level of water intake clearly isn't required for everyone, and for some people it's probably too much.

It all depends on how many showers you earn every day, in my opinion.

As usual, YMMV.
Well, he is in Austin TX, hot & humid there much of the time. 1.5 to 2 gallons a day is too much for most, but for his climate, his activities, and perhaps his home & work environment - maybe reasonable.

Actually I was talking to the OP. But then I think I may have read his post wrong. 2 liters is not horrible but when he added in a liter of gatorade with a 1:1 water dilution, I was thinking that's 2 MORE liters (1 liter gatorade mixed with 1 liter water), and all for diving. I'm in socal, so we don't get the humidity but we do get the heat. I drink probably 2 gallons on race days and heavy training days, but I was just thinking that hydrating that much for a week just for some diving might be a bit excessive.

When Im diving in egypt I drink atleast 1,5 liter before I even leave the dive shop in the morning. I easilly have downed a gallon by lunch on hot days.
Then again a "hot day" the time of year I often go there is 40c/104f in the shade and add to that being fried on a boat you get to sweat a bit.
Also to be noted is that In the morning Im usually pretty thirsty, which is why the first 1,5 liter goes down pretty quickly and being thirsty means youre not well hydrated. As the color of the toilet bowl attest when I get out of bed :p

Stay hydrated but no need to go nuts. Aviod exertion post dive and surface breathe O2 if you're worried/careful.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom