Hydro-dip Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Posting to share what's been shared with me. Last year I was researching options to get a BP/W setup, my first and thus far only, and like your wife, initially wanted stainless steel but a color besides 'bare metal' silver.

Hopefully this link will take you directly to a post where it's explained why I didn't and you may not want to do that.

I'm not familiar with hydro-dipping. There may have been further developments since I checked into it. Just passing it along...

Richard.

A friend of mine had her stainless steel bp powder coated in purple 5 years ago. She showed them a photo of the old "plum crazy purple" Chrysler paint, and they got it very close.
FB_IMG_1566184365855.jpg

It is showing more wear now:

FB_IMG_1566184933381.jpg

.... worried about how it will hold up over hard use...
IMHO,,I'm guessing if you top coated it with Imron clear (3.5 HG-C) it would last between 300 - 400 dives in salt water. We use this on wood spearguns & it's tough stuff in salt. Many auto painting shops use this weekly and if you left the plate with them, it would just be an "add-on" quick spray when they are also doing a car painting top coat. They wouldn't even have to mask the plate, just shoot it and let it dry.

The dive centre I work for does custom and standard variations on Backplates. Clients love them and they look awesome. Especially when coupled with coloured webbing.

Back
Top Bottom