Hydro of a tank

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yukoneer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
my tank needs a hydro - where's the cheapest place in Rochester to have it done? the local fire extinguisher shop?

Yes. Hey, I actually get to answer a question with some expertise here for a change.

Look in the phone book, If you need suggestions pm me I can give you a hand. There are several shops in Rochester that are DOT registered. The majority of dive shops around here simply can't afford to make the investment in the equipment required to Hydro a cylinder. The cost/return ratio wouldn't meet thier 200% business model so they take your cylinder in and tell you to pick it up next week. At some point late in the week when they have collected a few cylinders they will take them over to the fire extinguisher shop and have them hydroed. (a visual inspection of the cylinder is required as part of the hydro certification process per 49CRF). They pay the extinguisher shop about $10 and bring your cylinder back. They charge you $20 for the hydro and then tell you that you need a visual inspection that they will be happy to provide at the shop for an additional fee. You end up paying double for the vis. Now, if you take it to the extinguisher shop they will do a vis check but will not provide the vis sticker required by your local shop to get a fill so you will still have to take it in and get that anyway.

Go ahead, someone tell me I'm wrong

Monroe Fire Extingusiher off Dodge St, $12 a tank. I haven't been there yet, but just called around a few weeks ago, as several of mine need it as well. By the way, ACR uses Rochester Fire, off Monroe, and doubles the price for ya! Rochester Fire's price was higer as I recall too, for retail

When you do a hydro at a place other than a dive shop quite often you'll still have to pay for the vis and fill back at your dive shop so check on that too. Maybe a lds does hydros.

none of the LDS does hydros here in Rochester- they "outsource" hydros.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I hope that Monroe Fire Extinguisher wont peel my VIP sticker - it's still good till july of this summer.

Sorry buddy, to do a proper hydro they are supposed to remove the vis sticker. Your going to have to pay to get it done again.

No LDS in Rochester does hydros???

Does DD?

No, DD farms them out. I think to the extinguisher shop as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom