Hyro Optix Mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the most often stated beifit of almost all new masks today , with there odd lens shapes , and closer to your eye lens ... A wider field of vision
But , You can only go so far with a conventional flat lens before the increased angle (underwater) causes you to not see something to your sides that you could see above water. This curved lens does so perfectly and from what I understand, the view is astounding
Add to the above that someone with -3 to -5 prescription can wear it without contacts
I so want to try this mask out because wearing a mask without contacts on would just be fantastic for me and would have the added benifit of being able to see my guages more clearly

DB

I tried the Hydro-optix this past summer. I am only moderately nearsighted, so the correction was much too strong. I can't stand wearing contacts, so that was a big problem. The field of vision is fantastic, and seeing everything in it's proper size is revelatory. On the negative side, I found the mask leaks into my nose, which is very annoying. Also, the purge valve is not at the lowest point. The lenses do seem to scratch easily. They have a new film or something that really helps with the fogging problem.

I wound up returning mine. I found their customer service to be very good.

I have used the Hydro-Optix mask many times. With and without the contact lenses. The seal is like any other mask. Most of the time the leak is from your face not fitting the mask, not because the mask inherently leaks. If you take the time to adjust and practice with these masks, most people will find that they fit well and leak very little. Of course, no single mask will fit every face, so it is worth the while to take a test dive before purchasing one of these masks if you have any doubt about the "sealabilty".

I know the contact lenses are an issue with a lot of people out there but if you just give it a try, you will see incredibly well underwater...things will basically appear as if you are actually above water. Poor visibility won't look quite so poor either.

I have several of these masks available to divers on my tours. I would be happy to take anyone who is interested on a demonstration dive so they can see for themselves. Prior to coming on the dive, it will help if you know the value of your present eyesight / correction. We can then fit you with the proper contacts and you will be forever changed. Please feel free to PM me for more details on my Hydro-Optix Guided Tours. Of course, you'll have to come to Maui to let me show you how these things work..........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom