I am a dork

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mossman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I was at Kondesa the other night and, as usual when dining alone, I was actively eavesdropping on the conversations of other tables within earshot. After all, it beats talking to myself, not that I'm a boring conversationalist but it gets old knowing what I'm going to say all the time. Strangers surprise me.

Like in this case. A table with an older couple, Texan accents of course, and a younger guy. Older guy was explaining in his twangy voice how he was some muckety muck with Aggressor Fleet, doing something with hotels in the Philippines. That stuff didn't interest me. What did catch my ear was when they mentioned ScubaBoard. Muckety muck was explaining to younger guy how he only uses ScubaBoard when he has a question. After all, he proclaimed, the regular posters on ScubaBoard are all dorks who travel alone.

Well, that got me thinking. I am a regular contributor to ScubaBoard and here I was traveling alone. Did that make me a dork? I mean, I've done group trips before and I always thought those were the dorky people, too insecure and/or inexperienced to be able to travel alone. After getting a few dive trips under my belt and realizing how easy it was to meet people abroad, especially on liveaboards or at dedicated dive resorts, my travels were always as a buddy pair or as a couple with a female companion of one sort or another. My last few trips have been solo, which I found to be even less dorky and more intrepid because one doesn't even have the crutch of a single fellow traveler. Heck, this last trip I even tried to manage without the crutch of alcohol to make me friendlier. Honestly that may have been taking it too far, I was getting a bit lonely. But did that make me a dork? Hardly! Damn opinionated Texan muckety mucks. If I didn't know better, he might have hurt my feelings.

So I continued with my dinner. A very nice iced tea to drink, accompanied by Kondesa Kakes (lionfish & potato in a light coconut sauce), Peskado Pepita (excellently prepared fish with pepitas two ways, a mole-like sauce below and toasted on top, served with veggies), and Delicia de Elote for my postre, a sweet-corn flan with caramelized corn, cajeta, and some nice fresh fruit. Beautiful setting, so romantic I fell in love with myself all over again. But something was missing.

And I knew what that was. Other people. So as soon as dinner was over, I retreated to my hotel room for some "social networking", chatted with friends on Facebook, browsed ScubaBoard, got the companionship I craved. Hmmm, maybe that does make me a dork :(

I don't think that traveling alone makes anyone a dork. One tends to earn that title with his/her complete personality.

I've taken a couple of solo dive vacations and have always enjoyed them. I'd rather go with my family or friends, but sometimes we can't make our schedules jive and I just have to get out of town for a bit. It's such a selfish indulgence to have the entire time to yourself. Something that at this point in my life I rarely have happen. Meeting and socializing is never a problem if you need some interaction for a while.

As for cutting out the booze while on vacation.....blaspheme!

PH

Hey, if traveling alone makes one a dork, I'm a dork and proud of it. And if traveling with a group dive organized by Mensa makes me a Nerd, well, I can wear that label with pride, too. Labels are just something that someone else puts on you; they can only hurt to the extent that you respect the source. Since I don't give a rat's ass what other's think of me, as long as I stay true to myself, I really don't care. Would I rather vacation with a girlfriend? Hell yeah, as long as she wasn't needy, grabby or bitchy, as long as she either liked to dive with me or didn't resent and gripe about the fact that I left her alone to go diving every morning, as long as she wasn't so insecure that she was constantly after me to give her validation. But in the absence of that, would I rather go on vacation by myself or sit home alone sulking - I'll take the solo trip and enjoy it.

I don't usually judge people for traveling alone, but now that I know they spend their meals eavesdropping, maybe I'll be judging just a bit!

Hey if the conversation at the next table is more interesting than the one at mine, my ears wander.

I guess I'm a dork who travels (ok I use "travel" lightly because we really INVADE) with 70-100+ other dork ScubaBoarders each year. Good thing birds of a feather flock together...maybe that's dorks of neoprene dive together.
:D

Heck the Dorks even have their own forum: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dork-divers/

Cozumel. Diving. Kondesa (Kondesa Kakes?!). People have called me a dork for many years, for many different reasons. Honestly, I thought they were probably right, but now I know they weren't. I really, really, really want to be a dork.

Have to agree, what a Dork. Saturday after work I am getting on the afternoon DFW flight to join the Dork club and get a few days of diving in.

Back
Top Bottom