I am interested in learning to Dive, but I am landlocked and I have physical disabilities

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also have a physical disability, with weakness in my legs and constant pain, though I can walk unassisted. I do have enough strength in my legs to climb up a dive ladder
with tank on an 14lbs of weight. Most of my dives have been with dive operators and the employees on the boats have been very helpful.

I did have an issue with a shore dive in cold water. It was a very long walk from my car to the water in a full 7mm suit and over 20lbs of weight, so by the time I got in the water I was exhausted and out of breath...not a good way to start a dive. I have since learned some ways to make that easier.

Though I am always in some pain, the weightless feeling of being in the water, with the added joy of experiencing the underwater world makes it well worth the hassles. I did all of my OW class work online and then did my dives with a trainer in 20ft. of water in the Virgin Islands. It was, in my opinion, and excellent introduction and if you can afford to get to a warm water destination, I would recommend it.

Do you have any issues using normal fin or do you use the webbed gloves that have been mentioned in this thread a few times?

Do you have any issues using normal fin or do you use the webbed gloves that have been mentioned in this thread a few times?
My hands and arms are good, so I don't need webbed gloves.

Yeah, I am ok with regular fins, fortunately. Weaker, but ok. Sometimes I get tired easily, and I go through air faster than others, though having taken a buoyancy class and learning some other kick techniques, I'm improving.

My disability is pretty much limited to my lower extremities.

Yeah, I am ok with regular fins, fortunately. Weaker, but ok. Sometimes I get tired easily, and I go through air faster than others, though having taken a buoyancy class and learning some other kick techniques, I'm improving.

My disability is pretty much limited to my lower extremities.
Are you using more air due to being in pain from kicking or just exerting yourself

Are you using more air due to being in pain from kicking or just exerting yourself
I think that I was using more air because of over exertion. As I have learned to kick more efficiently, combined with learning to not scull with my hands, my air consumption has improved.

As for the pain, I feel it less when I am in the water.

I think that I was using more air because of over exertion. As I have learned to kick more efficiently, combined with learning to not scull with my hands, my air consumption has improved.

As for the pain, I feel it less when I am in the water.
That is good to know, I have never used fins before so one of my big concern was my propelling myself with the fins would make my legs hurt more because of water resistance. Do you know what fins you use or do you just rent

That is good to know, I have never used fins before so one of my big concern was my propelling myself with the fins would make my legs hurt more because of water resistance. Do you know what fins you use or do you just rent

My first pair of fins were full-foot and came with a mask and snorkel as a set. I don't know the make, but they worked fine for my early scuba dives after I had used them for snorkelling for several years. I decided to upgrade to open heel fins with spring straps and chose Sherwood Tritons because they have a good sized foot pocket. I have big feet and anything too tight makes my pain worse.

My first pair of fins were full-foot and came with a mask and snorkel as a set. I don't know the make, but they worked fine for my early scuba dives after I had used them for snorkelling for several years. I decided to upgrade to open heel fins with spring straps and chose Sherwood Tritons because they have a good sized foot pocket. I have big feet and anything too tight makes my pain worse.
Do you have any issues entering the water with all the gear on or do you need someone to help you put the Tank/BCD on after you get into the water?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom