I am looking for my first equipment and looking for guidance.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blazey07

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have my eyes set on all new Mares equipment with thought of that the LDS can easily service it year to year. I have just stumbled across some equipment on the nastyslist and like some input on the quality and wisdom for or against used equipment that's not already obvious. But for beginners equipment on a budget would it suffice, and I don't know if the LDS would be able to service this brand.
bb038abb9ded9f0c7578f827091dc5f6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Bigcountryairhvac.com

depends on the price. Read through the threads in here.

You can get a new top of the line BP/W for $500 from Deep Sea Supply. Can go down to about $400 or less if you shop around and make some compromises

Hog regulator set brand new for $500 with SPG, matching second stages, etc from Dive Right in Scuba. Used regulators are much cheaper

Computer $170 for Zeagle N2ition from Dive Gear Express

These will literally last you until the end of your diving career and that is without trying to shop for price. BC's don't need service, Hog regulators can be done yourself if you're mechanically inclined. I would not buy anything in that set except the first and second stage *wouldn't pay more than $200 for that*, and the AL80's, which depending on age should be absolutely no more than $75 each. If the total package is at or under $400, it might be worth it, and then sell the BC with console/air2 and keep the rest for $200 and you did pretty well.

Buy your last gear first. Local service is a joke, most of the "authorized repair technicians" are complete junk, not saying yours is, but don't be swooned by them unless they are truly reputable. Don't buy a brand based on the prospect of local service, it's a horrible decision, buy based on price vs. performance, and what you need long term.

If sidemount looks appealing to you, don't buy backmount gear. If any sort of technical diving/training looks appealing to you, buy a backplate/wing and proper regulator set, you won't be allowed to do technical training in that bc with an Air2, so why buy it now? No gear in any sort of technical diving is limited to those divers. Poseidon is teaching divers how to dive in the Poseidon MK7 CCR, their open water was done on a rebreather. People are learning how to dive in sidemount from day 1. We teach everyone in a BP/W from the start. Look at your long term diving goals, and buy based on that so you only have to buy once, you may choose to buy again, but if any of the above sound appealing to you, the only thing in what you listed that will transfer are the tanks for stage/deco bottles, and the first/second stage which will have to have another second stage added, and a plain SPG attached, which will cost about $200 minimum.

Are you capable of evaluating the fit, features, and compatability of the equipment in regard to your own specific needs? If you are a newbie, a LDS can guide you with their experience.

Used equipment is always available, and often very cheap - many people buy fancy outfits they never use after one season. Don't rush into this just because you think it's a "deal."

That's the thing, I have already been fitted for proper fit with the Mares BC, the used one shown maybe too big, who knows without me inviting time to look at. I don't know about one brand from another and we live nowhere close to any other dive shop and I know there prices are higher.

As far as buying used gear in general. It's a great idea. Just get the gear checked out/serviced before you use it. MK25/S600 is a nice high end reg. They tend to go for around $350 for the pair lightly used (I think MSRP is $729). I like the air2 where tbone does not. I don't like the scubapro bcd's, but that's just a personal preference.

I would not bother with used aluminum tanks. You're going to spend $40-50 for the hydro and VIP to get them going.. assuming they pass. You can find brand new al80's at LDS sales for around $100 around where I live. Most dive boats provide tanks for the divers anyway.

I'd be a little concerned about that console. I'm certainly no pro but I've never heard of that brand. When I google for it, I only come up with ebay auctions for "vintage" tekna consoles. Unless you're a collector, you probably don't want to be diving vintage gear.

I'd consider maybe $500-$700 not too terrible for that setup.

I am also in favor of used gear, especially for a first time purchase. You can't know what features you like or don't like until you dive a while. Your profile doesn't list your location. There are several scuba swap meets and scuba flea markets in various locations that are a great way to see and compare a lot of used gear in one place and get some terrific deals. As tbone mentioned, service on a regulator is a major factor and will be more than the cost of the reg in the long run. If you plan to do the service yourself, make sure you can get parts. If not, then make sure your local shop can do them for a reasonable cost. There are a few manufacturers that still offer free parts for life when you purchase new, but they are becoming more scarce.

Ok let me tell you the other end of the spectrum of the new equipment:
All Mares equipment
1-Hybrid pro Tec BC
2- 2nd air octo with BC air control.
3- (Used)Abyss 52 regulator, with lifetime warranty and free parts, ( it's the instructors 6 month old equipment)
4- Puck air integrated computer with compass.

How many dives have you done? Did you use your LDS for the OW course, have you tried Mares gear?

I would advocate buying your first set of gear from your LDS, because until you have experience you really don't know one end of BCD from another (metaphorically speaking of course), plus service and support is local.

On all of my 6 dives I used the Mares stuff, that's all I know. That's what I am talking about I don't know squat about equipment except that it is really important to your life and really want to enjoy it as I progress through the other advanced courses.

I just looked at the listing... I use the same regulator setup and it's a very good one. The tanks will need visuals and not Hydro so that'll cost something $25 each. You should have everything serviced, which will probably set you back $100-$125, give or take. It's good stuff and should serve you well. I'd offer $750 and see what he says and go from there. You're going to have to put some money into it to get it ready to use but it does look in good shape.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom