I am looking for my first equipment and looking for guidance.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for the good info for me to chew on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - Bigcountryairhvac.com

The fit might be important - there is some adjust ability in that BCD but it needs to start around the right size for you as the component pieces can't easily be swapped. It's an XL so you can check the fit range here: SCUBAPRO - BC SIZING INFO

A Scubapro MK25/S600 is an industry standard, solid higher end regulator. They're basically the top of Scubapro line and that one is basically unchanged from a new one. New that particular model is $729. Scubapro MK25/S600 Regulator 12.971.040

Scubapro is also a higher end brand than Mares IMO.

I'll frankly admit that I don't like Mares - they seem to develop new gimmicks that have no useful function. IMO they use too much plastic. There's a recent thread here about a woman who had both sides of her Mares lumbar tank support snap before she reached 100 dives her first year. It's plastic...

Mares looks flashy but I question some of their underlying principles. AirTrim seems like a good idea on paper until you realize that in order to make it work there's a system of valves, o-rings, pneumatic lines and special dump valves needed. All proprietary and impossible to get parts if you're not near a Mares dealer. If the Hybrid you're looking at has it - I personally wouldn't. Even Mares seems conflicted, a few years ago they had three or four models listed on their website - now there's just the one on the Hybrid.

I know someone who dives a Knighthawk - has for the past decade or so. It still looks/works fine. Configured with the AIR2 that's $750 retail new today. Scubapro Knighthawk BCD with Air 2 Alternate Inflator

Somehow the seller got hold of a console that's 20 years older than the rest of his gear. There's nothing wrong with it and he's upgraded the gauges since they don't come mixed like that. More than likely they can be popped out and put in a more modern console - or you can buy the equivalent new for around $200. Have it serviced so you know that it's reading both the right tank pressure and also accurate depth. I'd be slightly concerned if the hose was original but that can be changed also.

Since you mentioned only the one local dealer nearby - check them on ScubaPro's dealer list here: SCUBAPRO - Find a Scubapro Dealer

Any one can probably service the BC if needed. The regs should/need to be done at a ScubaPro dealer since they'll have access to parts etc. and have factory trained techs. It's not an overly difficult regulator to service but it is more complex than a $200 Mares Rover. Something you kind of want to be done right...:D

Since you're not the original owner - service will include parts costs as well as labor. Plan on $40-60 a stage (1st, 2nd, Air2) and they should include the gauge spool/o-rings free. If you don't have a ScubaPro dealer nearby - Airtech in NC can service it. AirTech Services

If you go look at it, first thing inflate the BC fully and listen/watch for leaks. Maybe dunk it in the tub also if the seller doesn't mind. Try everything, he should be storing the tanks with at least some air in them.

I would not bother with used aluminum tanks. You're going to spend $40-50 for the hydro and VIP to get them going.. assuming they pass. You can find brand new al80's at LDS sales for around $100 around where I live. Most dive boats provide tanks for the divers anyway.
I agree...

What are they asking for it all? It's all significantly better than average gear - I could actually be diving the exact same thing myself now (except I wanted the Titanium Mk25/S600) except I chose Zeagle/Atomic at the last minute. I can afford anything I want so I based the decision on the quality of the gear.

Like Kelemvor - I'm a 1/2 off for used gear guy since that's what it dropped to when the buyer got it wet the first time. That's about as much as the store he bought it from would give him - probably less.

OP is in DFW area according to profile.

Listing says $1k for the lot.

Here's what I'd do.

Deep Sea Supply bp/w, SS plate with LCD30 wing, call it $500 for easy numbers. Brand new, no issues with fit, remove guaranteed 6lbs from your weight belt, typically 8-10 because regular bc's float. If you want to save $100, the DRiS trianta is cheaper, but the DSS is a bit better.

Cave Adventurers - HOG Single Tank Regulator Package - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!
Hog single tank regulator set, $450
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...ount-regulators-d3-switchback-regulators.html
Alternatively you can get the new style, with an extra first stage, extra SPG *good for pony bottle or something down the road btw*, and it's $500. Other options in the classifieds here.

https://www.divegearexpress.com/zeagle-n2ition-3-gas-dive-computer
Zeagle N2ition dive computer, $170. Not going to do any better used....

Total is $1100. All gear is brand new, computer is better than the console, BC is MUCH better, and the regs are good enough. You won't notice a difference between the two. You don't get tanks, but you don't want used AL80's really unless they're real cheap. Hold out for LP72's which are super cheap and much better overall, or just keep renting tanks for a while.

He is asking $GRAND. I don't understand what your saying at the end of your comment about " here's what I would do...." Is this another ad on that list?

OP is in DFW area according to profile.
That changes a lot. Especially at $1000 for the gear used.

OP, don't do anything else until you go to ScubaToys in Dallas and talk to them first.
Go there or call them, due to mfr's agreements sometimes the prices shown on the website are just that.

They have the best prices, most of the best brands and will steer you straight. It's also like a Dive superstore - large place, lots of options, they service everything they sell. Even Mares if you still want that. Plus literally dozens of other brands in most categories.

Including everything tbone recommended except the DSS bp/w since IIRC Tobin handles a lot of U.S. sales direct.
They do sell Hog, DiveRite,Hollis, and other BP/W setups though if you choose to follow tbone's suggestions.

Scuba Equipment, Scuba Gear Scuba Diving Equipment Discount dive gear Snorkeling Equipment Wetsuits GoPro Cameras Cheap online.

I wish I lived in Dallas - except it's probably better that I don't as I'd be in there buying something all the time. :D

Last edited:
Since the post is in "New Divers and Those Considering Diving", I assume OP is still in the class, not certified yet. I will strongly suggest OP to finish the class, do a few dives on rental, possibly try out different type of BC before buying anything at all. Used item will show up often. Your LDS deal will be there anything you want to spend your money. The last thing you want is to spend the money without much experience, then only go realize you want something else just 10 dives later.

Yeah I am now certified.

He is asking $GRAND. I don't understand what your saying at the end of your comment about " here's what I would do...." Is this another ad on that list?

not another list, that is new gear. I.e. if I was going to spend a grand, this is how I'd do it.

Make sure to check scubatoys out, though their pricing may or may not be better due to sales tax.
Quick glance
They don't have any BP/W packages that make sense. The Trianta from DRiS is a better buy for the money, and is cheaper. The DSS is higher quality and not much more. Their cheapest package is $400 but doesn't have sex bolts on the wing, isn't the full stainless dive rite plate, so that adds $30 to the price, so now you're within $50 of DSS which is higher quality, and you're $50 more than the Trianta which is perfectly usable.

None of their regulator packages make sense either with the Hog from Edd's being much cheaper. If you go with Trianta, get the singles set from Mike and they may cut you a bit of a break since you're spending that much

I would say rent first - try some different setups if possible to echo everyone else try a BP/W before buying a jacket style BC - however I spent a pretty penny on a fully equipped or all the bells and whistles Apeks WTX harness SS with a wing and I of course loved it at first however in a short 6month period I'm about to ditch the comfy harness for a simple SS back plate with a single harness strap - nothing wrong with it but I just seem to prefer the Spartan look/ feel ( travel is Hollis BP/W AL tho) Just saying don't rush it's an expensive sport to get into but save yourself some cash and buy the right setup once, really research what you want then wait a bit and see if you still want it - your preferences may have changed.

hope i didn't confuse you with my post but welcome to the wonderful world of diving :)

Obviously everyone would like to save money.

But in the big picture, we need to support our shops. Without them where would we buy air, get a warranty honored, or a quick repair done the day before a big trip? Take advanced and specialty classes? Where to meet other divers, book boat trips, etc.?

Your LDS probably depends heavily on equipment sales to new divers in order to survive. In return, especially as a new diver, they are a valuable resource to you in terms of advice, service, and support generally.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom