I am very disappointed with Genesis...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When a HD fails on my 8 year old PC, I can take it to a shop and they will replace the HD. I don't like the idea that a scuba gear manufacturer won't even look at the item. And 8 vs 2 does not matter. An 8 year old dive computer is still a perfectly safe and usable dive aid. If some computers are non-repairable, throw away items then they should be marketed as such.

see post #19 by Genesis.

They said they would repair it.... but it's not really cost effective compared to the cost of a new one.

The difference in your comparison is that your computer chassis is huge and has easily removable parts and is not water tight. So you can easily replace your hard drive. A dive computer is small and doesn't have modular removable parts. After it's fixed, they have to make sure the case is watertight again.

for what it costs to repair it, he could get a much better computer.

I've run into the same issue with my flooded camera. The LCD quit working when it came into contact with a small amount of water in the housing. yeah they can repair it, but the digital camera is 5 years old now and is considered "old" in camera technology. My money would be better spent buying a new camera.

If a Genesis computer is always more expensive to repair than to replace, then it is not a function of age, but of design or company policy. That's fine but not typical of such products from other manufacturers. Unless the replacement is reasonably cheap, I'd be looking elsewhere for my dive computer.

If a Genesis computer is always more expensive to repair than to replace, then it is not a function of age, but of design or company policy. That's fine but not typical of such products from other manufacturers. Unless the replacement is reasonably cheap, I'd be looking elsewhere for my dive computer.

can you give an example of another computer manufacturer/make/brand that is designed for modular replacement of parts and is cheaper to fix than replace in all cases?

When a HD fails on my 8 year old PC, I can take it to a shop and they will replace the HD. I don't like the idea that a scuba gear manufacturer won't even look at the item. And 8 vs 2 does not matter. An 8 year old dive computer is still a perfectly safe and usable dive aid. If some computers are non-repairable, throw away items then they should be marketed as such.

You would be right if the dive computers had hard drives but they don't, If you took your old pc in to have the CPU replace you would be buying a new computer. Try and take your 8 year old phone in for repair most likely you would be buying a new phone. Most older IC chip designs have been replaced with faster and lower power consumption IC chip.

Function wise the computer is fine the, algorithms have not change much but the component are out of date the newer IC are 10 times faster and use less power then the older IC chips

About 5 years ago I purchased a microwave oven, the newest built in version from General Electric. It was about $300.00, so it wasn't a cheap microwave. something blew out on it last week. service man came out and said the part to fix it was more than the cost to but a new microwave. this stuff happens all the time, in all industries.

can you give an example of another computer manufacturer/make/brand that is designed for modular replacement of parts and is cheaper to fix than replace in all cases?

In all cases - of course not. But I know other manufacturers do repair and refurbish their computers. I'm just amazed the mfgr will not even look at it.

In all cases - of course not. But I know other manufacturers do repair and refurbish their computers. I'm just amazed the mfgr will not even look at it.

Read the thread.
The manufacturer posted here and said they would repair it. Only the OP said they wouldn't. I'm betting he was told that by a LDS that didn't want to mess with it and wanted to sell him a new dive computer.

The manufacturer said they would give a quote on repairing it, but that replacement would likely be the cheaper option.

There may be more to this story that were not seeing. For example, lets say the LDS is behind on its financial payments to the vendor. Well the vendor won't sell them more parts/service until they pay for it. So the LDS makes up a bogus story about how the manufacturer won't repair it. NOT saying that's what happened with this LDS, but definately possible. (regardless, I'm betting there is more to this story than the OP originally stated or the LDS told him)

Read the thread.
The manufacturer posted here and said they would repair it. Only the OP said they wouldn't. I'm betting he was told that by a LDS that didn't want to mess with it and wanted to sell him a new dive computer.

The manufacturer said they would give a quote on repairing it, but that replacement would likely be the cheaper option.

There may be more to this story that were not seeing. For example, lets say the LDS is behind on its financial payments to the vendor. Well the vendor won't sell them more parts/service until they pay for it. So the LDS makes up a bogus story about how the manufacturer won't repair it. NOT saying that's what happened with this LDS, but definately possible. (regardless, I'm betting there is more to this story than the OP originally stated or the LDS told him)

Too bad manufacturers exercise so little control over their retailers. I often wonder how much damage they will accept to the brand name before they will take action. I had an "authorized dealer" LDS for another manufacturer refuse to perform a CPSC recall repair. The manufacturers solution was for me to mail it to them.

And still most manufactures discourage direct contact and try to force divers to deal with "your local dealer". In the end, the manufacturers will usually do what is right, but only after you deal with any LDS run-around you may encounter.

NCadiver, you need to go back up a few and read "the problem is"....First how do you know how old my pock is, it does not matter if is two, three, four, five years or more, I can pay for the repairs if it can be fixed, comprende? Never wanted nothing for free! Second, I am a big boy now, I don't need anyone to tell me what I can buy.
As I have said over and over..I NEEDED THE COMPANY TO STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT AND TREAT THEIR CUSTOMER LIKE MANY HERE DO no more and no less. I hope your computer lives for ever or at least have the oportunity to have a company that will stand behind their product.

1) Then how old is your dive computer and that is not the day you bought it. You have not supplied a manufacture date or a picture of the computer.

2) Like I said if you dive computer that old no chip maker is making those IC chips anymore and if they are not making them anymore genesis can't buy them. You can't buy part for a 486 computer from the manufacture anymore can you?

3) You have no idea how much a custom IC chip will cost to manufacture, so when genesis give you the bill you won't stand behind you statement and pay.

4) genesis/sherwood said they would upgrade you 8 plus year old computer and if it was 2 years old they would fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom