I bought an older Zeagle Ranger on Ebay. How'd I do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The bladder held most of the air, but didn't hold all of it. Maybe 2/3. That was after 8 hours. Was it supposed to hold all of it?

Mine holds air a little better than that. A couple of places to check for leaks are at the flange where the elbow attaches to the bladder and at the bottom dump. The gasket in mine was worn, I pulled it out and flipped it over and it held fine.

Make sure you check the bladder for leaks

Anyway, returning it is an option. I'll obviously have to pay shipping. I could send it back with a total of about $30 shipping and buy a newer one for around $300 (minus regulators, which I actually do need), or buy a $50 inflator for this one.

I'm having a hard time deciding. Opinions appreciated.

While you still have time to send it back, run down to the LDS you plan on having the gear serviced at and see if they can give you an opinion. That may be better than waiting for a certain amount of positives and negatives here on the internet to guide you.

I may sound negative at your purchase; but I'm willing to be the bad guy if it errors on the side of your safety and the safety of the people diving with you they may have to assist you if a gear problem arises. I'm not necessarily talking bout a major failure; you'll be amazed at all the small gear glitches that can snowball and make for a bad dive.

A $30 shipping fee is very little to the fee of buying your gear all over again. I have seen it many times.

I understand the expenses of dive equipment especially for the frugal beginner. Thats why I am not big on being sold in to buying top of the line gear to start with and pointed you towards some reliable bottom end gear.

Scubasaurus:
Stop by your LDS as they are experienced with dive gear. We don't know the condition of gear sitting in an Ebay seller's garage for years. Parts may or may not be available to service the old equipment.
I echo this suggestion. Do it quickly, to allow you to make a keep / return decision sooner rather than later. The thing that makes the purchase a reasonable value proposition is getting the regulators with it. (Yes, Zeagle makes great equipment, the Ranger is a great BCD, but the $239 cost for an older model is simply not competitive.) So, find a local Aqualung / Seaquest dealer, and take the regs by to determine IF they can be serviced (which they probably can) and how much it would cost. (For example, while the timing doesn't match up, there were some Seaquest Spectrum 1st stage regs that were the subject of a recall in the mid-90s, for rework of the high pressure seat. The regs you got are probably not that 'mature', but the possibility exists.)
The Octo Plus on the Ranger is worthless. Service parts are pretty much unavailable. It doesn't orally inflate through the mouthpiece. You will need to install a new power inflator. . .
The inflator itself will not be that expensive. If you go with a standard power inflator AND already have an octo on your regs, then you are looking at ~$50 for a good Zeagle, maybe a little less ($30-40) for another brand, IF the corrugated hose that you have on the Ranger is a 1" hose. If you go with another combo inflator, like an Octo-Z, you are looking at ~$200.

I mentioned three things in my first post: a) does the BCD hold air, b) does it fit you and c) do the regulators function? My almost 10 year old Ranger remains relatively firm if I fully inflate it and leave it sitting for 8+ hours. Yes, there is a little loss of air but not 1/3 of the air. More important, have you tried the unit on to see if it fits you?

Another point about Rangers. The newer models allow for attachment of a crotch strap. Without it, the BCD functions very much like any jacket BCD at the surface, and may ride up a bit. Does the Ranger you purchased have male quick releases sewn into the front/side area, and a tri-glide at the center rear, to allow attachment of a crotch strap? While not essential, it is one more advantage.

As I mentioned previously, there is nothing wrong with 'mature' gear. But, if you are going to have to spend money to bring it back to functionality, it may becoime an expensive proposition.
MRadke:
A couple of places to check for leaks are at the flange where the elbow attaches to the bladder and at the bottom dump.
Shftrdog:
Make sure you check the bladder for leaks
Do you want to spend the time (and money) on the 'detective work? You already know you will have to invest in a power inflator. Now, if you are 'handy' and work on your scuba gear yourself, then it will not cost as much. (If I had bought this gear at a garage sale for $15, I might do that, then sell the Ranger for $100 and consider it a good deal for buyer and seller.) But, if not, you have already spent more than a newer model, used Ranger would probably cost on eBay, you are looking at an additional investment of at least $100 for the inflator and service, and an unknown amount (possibly very little, possibly more) if parts (e.g. the rear inflator elbow) need to be replaced. If the BCD fits, and you have some time and money to invest in a 'project', by all means have at it and let us know how it goes. If not, $30 to ship it back isn't a bad deal.

Most of the selling prices of newer rangers on ebay have been over $300 for the BC alone. If the regs are good, I think he came out all right. I've had the Ranger on my notification list for over a year as I would buy a second if I could get it cheap enough. I do agree that the equipment needs to see a good shop for evaluation before the time period for a return passes.

Most of the selling prices of newer rangers on ebay have been over $300 for the BC alone.
Actually, most of the ASKING prices have been that high, but who is buying at that price? Fort example, currently, there is a newer model Medium Ranger on the auction list, with a Buy It Now price of only $239, and a starting price of $179, and still no bids with only 1 day. left. And, the seller is even throwing in an Octo + as a bonus. Hmm, maybe this is the same seller?

Actually, most of the ASKING prices have been that high, but who is buying at that price? Fort example, currently, there is a newer model Medium Ranger on the auction list, with a Buy It Now price of only $239, and a starting price of $179, and still no bids with only 1 day. left. And, the seller is even throwing in an Octo + as a bonus. Hmm, maybe this is the same seller?

I'm thinking about buying it. It has some fading on the side panel. That doesn't seem like a big deal. What are your opinions on that?

Anyway, the one I had fit perfectly, but between the bladder having a yellow tint and having a small air leak, I decided to return it. The seller agreed to refund the full price including shipping If I pay return shipping. Also, while the regs were more of a bonus than anything, I would much rather but a cheap but reliable new set.

I want to thank everyone for your help and opinions. I'm due to leave for basic training (USAF) any time now and want to have my own gear as I'll have a good chance of being near water. I have my PADI open water certification, so I'm just trying to get my gear together and ready to go.

I'm thinking about buying it. It has some fading on the side panel. That doesn't seem like a big deal. What are your opinions on that?
Issues like fading are not really a problem. If you know the size will be right, and you don't jump right in at the asking price, it may be a good buy.

The Ranger is a very popular initial BCD (it was my first scuba gear purchase as well). But, it is not inexpensive to buy new. A number of people who buy them new, and for whatever reason (health, interest, etc) don't stick with diving, put them on eBay but are reluctant to part with them at a much reduced price, which is why you see them listed with high asking prices, but no bids.

Given the fact that you will be starting AF basic soon, you probably made a wise call not to have to sort through service issues on the other unit.

One other question / comment, and I don't mean to start a 'BP/W vs something else' debate with other posters by offering this: you are a newer diver, and I presume this is your first BCD. Is there a reason that you are looking at the Ranger in particular? Zeagle equipment is great - durable, functional, etc., and Zeagle support is terrific. The Ranger is a great BCD - a back-inflate unit, VERY comfortable, etc. BUT, it also has 44 lbs of lift, far more than you really need for single tank diving. It has a lot of buoyant material, and adds to your weight requirement as a result, whether that weight goes in the integrated pockets, or on a belt on your waist. Although it is, as I mentioned, a very popular initial BCD, with the benefit of hindsight I am not sure it is the best starting point. The Zeagle Wicked Lite would be a simpler choice, as would the Zeagle Express Tech, as two examples of lightweight (in fact, 'travel') BCDs which stay in the Zeagle line. One thing I liked about the Ranger when I bought it, besides the fact that it was very comfortable, very rugged, and had the option of a crotch strap, was all the D-rings on it, to which I could clip all kinds of 'stuff' :). What I found, besides the issue of it being a positively buoyant unit, is that the D-rings offered a temptation to go in the water with most of my gear dangling from various points on the rig, which was neither streamlined nor necessary. If a Ranger is what you really want, it is a great BCD and will serve you well. So, this is just a thought, to suggest that there may be some additional, possibly simpler, options to at least explore for the new single tank diver.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom