I can't get my camera to focus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You might also try a macro lens (or two) screwed onto the front of your lens housing, with your camera set to macro. This gives you approximately the same results as supermacro, without all the attendant hassels. You can back away from your subject a little more, and its easier to focus and deal with. There is an awful lot of info on this in this forum. Or have you already considered and rejected this idea?

WOODMAN:
Or have you already considered and rejected this idea?

Actually, it's something that I hadn't considered. I'mcurrently in money saing mode for my strobe, but I'll look into this too.
thanks

discrepancy:
- My Oly C7070 has kittens trying to focus in super macro mode, and I presume the 5060 is the same. It will hunt around for ages, then gives up. I eventually decided to go for manual focus in super macro. With all the things we're up against shooting underwater, I decided to take the guesswork out of focusing in super macro mode, so I rigged a removable plastic rod to the housing to tell me how far away I should be..

What a great Idea!! I think I will make one of these this week and try it out. Any pointers on determining rod length to manual focus setting?

Thanks for the tip.

Terry

With the 5050 I didn't have problems focussing in supermacro...not sure if the 5060 is the same or worse for this. But I was thankful for not having the problem!

The little rod is pretty nifty :)

I've found with the 5050 if I zoom all the way out and then back off just a tad things work great. You can also set My Modes for zoom to 80% or something and it will just do it for you.

Hope you get wet soon!

divinman,

I'm not saying the focusing rod approach is the only way to go, but it works for me. I just love to shoot nudis. They are beautiful, they don't dart off behind a rock, and you can get a decent pic even in really bad conditions because the column of water between the nudi and your lens can be just a few inches. With this rod, I can fill the frame full of nudi and not waste resolution in photoshop later cropping a tiny subject and blowing it up.

If you're interested, I rigged the rod first, and then figured out what manual focus lengths I needed to set in My Mode to match the lengths of the rod extended and retracted.

To find the right manual focus lengths to set, I took a plastic 12" ruler, found a quiet rock pool, and shot two series of photos in manual focus mode, first with the rod extended to the long focal length, and then again with it retracted to the short length. I deliberately set things up to use a low F number so I could tell later on the computer where the depth of field was.

In each case, I put the tip of the rod at the 6" mark as if I was shooting a nudi sitting on the 6" spot, and shot along the length of the ruler. I started with a manual focus length I knew would be way too short, then for each successive shot, I shifted the manual focus up one notch, and wrote down the frame number and the manual focus length for that shot. The idea was to start way too close, and shoot each new shot with the manual focus shifted up one press until the focus was way too long. Somewhere in between would be the focal length matching the length of the rod.

Then, I pulled up each series of photos on the computer. Looking at how badly the gradations each side of the 6" mark were in or out of focus, it was easy to see which frame had the middle of the depth of field right about the 6" mark. The manual focus length for that frame was my magic number which I then used as the focal length for the pre-set My Mode to match the rod length.

Don't do what I did first and take the pics on your lounge room floor, because it doesn't work. Well, it does--on land--but your focus will be way out underwater. Remember from your OW course - things look 1/3 bigger underwater. That's why you have to take the shots and find the right manual focus length in saltwater.

The manual focal lengths I finished up using were 12cm for the long rod and 8cm with it retracted, but that will change if you use a different length rod or put your short electric tape marker somewhere different to where mine is. Also, I have no idea yet what will happen when I lash out one day and buy a dome port.

Anyway, that's what's worked for me, and I just love supermacro now.

Btw, I have noticed that far from scaring little fish, the focusing rod can be helpful. Several times now, I've put the rod onto a rock near a small fish, and guess what? Rather than get spooked, they sometimes turn conveniently side-on to check out what on Earth the tip of the rod represents to them. Lovely.

Finally, to Nay. Buy the strobe. You won't regret it. No more problems with the lens barrel obscuring the bottom left corner of your close up shots. And you can get very close. Much better pics.

Other place to check is your ISO setting. If you are on AUTO it may be putting you at ISO 400. That causes a lot of noise that makes the imges look less sharp.
If you can use a strobe, and get to ISO 50 it will help.
Also.. don't push the shutter if the green light is blinking. Back off a bit and try again.

This is all really great advice because I was having the same problems with my 7070. I just bought a strobe but do need a focusing light. But man, that one costs almost as much as my strobe did. Why did I pick such an expensive hobby. :D
In the meantime, I'm going to try to rig up my extra flashlight to my strobe. See if that helps.

LOL yes this hobby is not cheap :) Well, if it makes you feel better, the SLX can be used as a dive light too when you remove the diffuser.

The problems that I had with my 5060 focusing were due to me being too far from my subject and depending on the zoom instead of getting closer in order to fill the frame. I got some horrible shots of one of the most exciting encounters with a giant green moray. ;( Once we learned to leave the zoom alone and fill the frame by actually moving, our problem was solved. The longer the zoom the higher the incidence of blur due to movement.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom