I couldn't figure out why I was so winded

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CaptainHornblower

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Fortunately, this as an incident, and not an accident, because I'm the incidentee. I'll describe the incident as accurately as I can and let's see if you pick up what neither my instructor, my wife nor I figured out at the time.
Situation: My wife and I show up at a dive shop and ask about working on our advanced scuba certification. IÃÎ 57 years old, 5'10", 182 lbs and in reasonably good condition; my wife is 48, 5'9", 145 lbs and in good aerobic condition. When discussing our physical abilities with an instructor I explained that I worked out several times a week and wife runs 5 to 7 days a week.
My wife is newly certified, has a few open water dives and wants to get in more supervised dives. I had only a few dives in the last 10 years; I was certified in 1972 (this was in 2008) and have NAUI and YMCA certifications. My dive experience included approximately 50 dives including numerous night dives and a few down to 130 feet. WeÃÅ been in Hawaii two months earlier and Linda had done a couple open water dives while IÃÅ snorkeled for several hours (I didnÃÕ scuba due to a head cold). Both of us had all new top of the line equipment, Poseidon Jetstream regs, Oceanic Pro Plus 2 computers, etc. I wanted to check out a dry suit so they agree that part of the certification dives would include dry suit and altitude (the dives would be in Lake Tahoe at appx 6,000 feet).
We arrived at the dive site early Saturday morning for our first dive. My guess is that, from the instructor's perspective, we appeared very inexperienced, a little nervous and way over equipped for our skill level. We got to the lake and made our entrance, we both needed help donning our equipment, my wife because she was inexperienced in shore diving, me because all my equipment was new and it was the first time I had tried a dry suit. I also felt a little under the weather that morning which I attributed to a little too much wine the night before. First the instructor worked with me on drysuit skills in about 15 feet of water. I did ok, kind of, but I got very winded doing the summersault-like maneuver; after completing the maneuver I had trouble catching my breath while on the bottom at 15 feet, it felt like I was over-breathing my regulator. Then he worked with both of us on our buoyancy skills, which was a struggle too as Linda hadnÃÕ dove in fresh water and I was messing with the dry suit. All in all it was an iffy day and we bagged it after the first dive and went home.
We showed up early the next morning. I was feeling much better; weÃÅ just had one glass of wine with dinner and had gone to bed early. We started getting suited up and I realized IÃÅ forgotten to bring socks, so I put on my wetsuit. We got in the water and I felt very restricted in my movement. After donning our equipment we started a short 100 foot snorkel to where weÃÅ descend. Just trying to snorkel that short distance I got completely winded and actually had to roll over and the instructor towed me back to the shallow water. Not 2 months before IÃÅ snorkeled for over an hour straight in Hawaii; I practice martial arts three days a week for an hour and a half per class; I was at a loss as to what was going on. The only thing I could think of was that my wetsuit was too tight and restricted my breathing.
After resting for a couple of hours I felt much better and did the afternoon dive in the drysuit with out socks. The instructor, obviously concerned after the morningÃÔ events, kept my wife and I very shallow and we just worked on buoyancy. I mentioned to him that I felt as though I was over-breathing my regulator, which he correctly pointed out was almost impossible with a Poseidon Jetstream.
Any thoughts out there as to what was up with me?
Four months later I was diagnosed with persistent arterial fibrillation. ThatÃÔ when the top half of the heart beats very fast and irregularly making it extremely inefficient at pumping blood. IÃÅ had a medical earlier that year and passed with flying colors! What was happening is that my heart would beat in a sinus rhythm (normal and working well) for a while, then would start fibrillating for a while (hum, all of a sudden IÃÅ feel out of breath for no reason at all), and then after 5, 10, 15 minutes it would kick back into a sinus rhythm and IÃÅ be back to normal.
After figuring out what was going on I now realize it had been coming on for a year or more, gradually more and more often. IÃ×e also discovered that itÃÔ far more common that I realized. ItÃÔ now treated with medication, my heart rate is much lower and regular and I feel as though I went from running on 4 cylinders to running on all 8 with a turbo charger thrown in for good measure.
So, if youÃÓe out as an instructor or buddy and a 50 something year old diver, who is fit, comfortable in the water and reasonably experienced suddenly gets inexplicably winded, dizzy and tired atrial fibrillation could be the problem. Take their pulse, if it iss way too high (mine was 160 AT REST) get them some OÃÔ and medical attention ASAP.

Thanks for passing on your experience -- not something anyone would think about, for sure (unless they were EMT or DR). Good advice to check the pulse on an overly winded, seemingly overexerted diver, who didn't have much exertion. I'll log it in my book.

Thanks Captain!

So now you know how I feel: It's not a happy feeling, is it?! I was diagnosed with supra-ventricular tachycardia in 1990 and have been on meds ever since. After a couple of wierd incidents like this, I have the approval of my cardiologist to take an extra half pill when I dive. But your post reminded me that it's been a few years since they did a full stress test on me (with a treadmill or exercise bike) and that's where you really see if the meds are doing their job. Will speak to the cardio about this next week.

Thanks again - and keep diving!

Trish

So, if youÃÓe out as an instructor or buddy and a 50 something year old diver, who is fit, comfortable in the water and reasonably experienced suddenly gets inexplicably winded, dizzy and tired atrial fibrillation could be the problem. Take their pulse, if it iss way too high (mine was 160 AT REST) get them some OÃÔ and medical attention ASAP.

Great post!

One can broaden the lesson and say that anyone, regardless of medical history, should abort their dive if experiencing significant unexplained or unresolved symptoms related to breathing, mentation or energy level. :)

Dave C

What about the issue of the altitude? That must have compounded what you were feeling. I'd say your very lucky things went the way they did.

Actually the altitude wasn't that big a deal, we live in Reno at 4,600 feet, so it was only a 1,400 foot increase over or normal altitude.

Tricia:

I'm on three meds now too. Luckily it appears that they are working and my doc gave his blessing on my diving again. So I hope to be back in...under the water this summer.

Captain:

I had the same problem a couple of years ago, with the SVT (early 40's, in good physical shape). I went through the whole routine of seeing my regular Dr, a cardiologist, the stress test, etc. No one could ever tell me what was causing it. I was put on beta-blockers, but couldn't stand them. I had no energy when I was on them. Fortunately, the problem seems to have cleared up...but I have to avoid anything with caffeine or stimulants.

Actually, I am surprised you didn't feel this. When I would have an "episode", it would feel like my heart would skip and then it would beat really fast (over 180 beats per minute). At the same time, I would be very shaky and weak feeling...definitely would not have dove feeling that way.

When this was happening to me, I was lifting really heavy weights (powerlifting) and drinking several cups of coffee each day. It seems a combination of the two caused this (but no one really knows for sure). i just know that by quitting the coffee (harder than quitting cigarettes...at least for me) and reducing the weight lifting, I haven't had an episode in a couple of years.

Oh...by the way (I'm sure your Dr's have told you), alcohol can bring this on. Not sure why...and it hasn't happened to me...but a friend of mine has the same problem and more than a glass or two of wine can cause her's to flare up.

John

Captain:

Actually, I am surprised you didn't feel this. When I would have an "episode", it would feel like my heart would skip and then it would beat really fast (over 180 beats per minute). At the same time, I would be very shaky and weak feeling...definitely would not have dove feeling that way.

Oh...by the way (I'm sure your Dr's have told you), alcohol can bring this on. Not sure why...and it hasn't happened to me...but a friend of mine has the same problem and more than a glass or two of wine can cause her's to flare up.

John

I did feel like crap, but just about the same time as I started feeling bad my Doc had put me on high blood pressure medicine and I thought the Benicar was what was making me feel so crappy, so I just pushed through it. I mentioned to my Doc how crappy the Benicar was making me feel and said he hadn't had any other patients experience what I was going through, but every time I was in his office my pulse was pretty normal (low 70s to low 60s) so we just didn't put it together.

They did tell me about the alcohol so I quit for a month and now limit myself to a glass of wine, or two at most; I really miss my scotch and soda:depressed:.

Back
Top Bottom