I didn't pay much attention to the airfare threads till I noticed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We were lucky back in Nov. and booked a smoke'in deal from Alberta to Curacao on Westjet $714. Then on Insel to get to Bonaire for a small amount. It worked out well bcz we're going to spend a week on CUR after our BON holiday From where we live that is really good. Now lets see what hiccups are in store for us on the Insel segment... crossing my fingers

Why book Insel at all? Divi Divi Air is the reliable connection between Bonaire and Curacao--they usually fill their planes, but worth a shot for a future flight. Book and pay online. Insel is NOT the first choice here--they may be out of business by the time you go....

Why book Insel at all? Divi Divi Air is the reliable connection between Bonaire and Curacao--they usually fill their planes, but worth a shot for a future flight. Book and pay online. Insel is NOT the first choice here--they may be out of business by the time you go....
Hi JimW - I'm familiar with the complaints Insel gets for some years now, the reason was we land in CUR at 3:30 and if the plane is late (coming via Toronto that's a distinct possibility... damn winter weather!) we'll miss the connection and have to overnight in CUR... so we selected Insel bcz if we get in on time and there's space, we can grab the 5pm flight and not have to wait until 8 pm. On the plus side I only booed our island hopper 1-way, so once on BON I'll book the rtn segment on Divi for certain.

An issue on Divi Divi Air is the luggage restrictions....I carry both single tank and side mount rigs with reg sets for both as well as some of my wife's gear for example...close to or right at 2 50lb. bags originating in the states....I cannot board at or under Divi Divi luggage restrictions....

thanks scuba127 - what was the problem? I took a look at their restrictions and as near as I could tell, was simply going to have to pay $ for having more weight than they state in their max bag amounts

The problem was I would have to pay more for going over their weight restrictions....

Also, it is my understanding Divi won't guarentee your bags on the same flight you are on if you exceed their limitations...

An issue on Divi Divi Air is the luggage restrictions....I carry both single tank and side mount rigs with reg sets for both as well as some of my wife's gear for example...close to or right at 2 50lb. bags originating in the states....I cannot board at or under Divi Divi luggage restrictions....

If one uses this as a reason for scheduling air transport that might fly as opposed to air transport that will certainly fly--why travel to Bonaire at all?

I don't know if you've experienced this luggage problem or not, or are you simply putting this out there in the place of knowledge.

Various folks have stated the Divi policy, in practicality the policy has little effect--your stuff likely will go on the next flight. Our stuff-2 50 lb dive bags-plus carryons and personal items--all this has gone on our flight. Reason being--all the other passengers were not divers but rather locals going to work, etc. They had no luggage.

I'm putting this out there because these are two issues some may not be aware of......either your going to pay more or your luggage may not travel with you...be advised before booking Divi Air from Cur to Bon after arriving in Cur from the states....simple as that...

We're flying from Philadelphia to Bonaire on American Airlines, via Miami, for our trip in August. No Caribbean airlines, no baggage restrictions:). We had a terrible time with Insel last December. I don't really want to fly Divi Divi or Aruba Air either.

Back
Top Bottom