I dig a pony

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jakobus

Reaction score
I'm not a solo diver yet, but I can tell I will be one day, so a pony bottle is definitely in my future, and sooner rather than leter, since I like the self-sufficiency that the redundancy provides. But what do you do when you travel? Take both regs and rent a pony on the other end?

When I went to Bonaire in March, I brought both regs and rented a pony for the solo dives that I did (around 5 of 30 total). The shop I went through didn't carry them, so I got one from Walt at RecTekScuba @ 8.00 a day.

Brian

bwh6:
Which forum is this?

When I went to Bonaire in March, I brought both regs and rented a pony for the solo dives that I did (around 5 of 30 total). The shop I went through didn't carry them, so I got one from Walt at RecTekScuba @ 8.00 a day.

Brian

I know. I solo dive on a regular basis and I'm not against solo diving at all. The logistics, however, make it a little more complicated when you're on vacation. On vacation the dive op doesn't know you. You don't know the local conditions and if you're diving through a shop then you're going to expect (or get, even if you don't want it) some kind of supervision. Any kind of boat dive is like this. My thinking is that it's just easier to dive with a buddy than to force the issue when you're on vacation.

On my last vacation I asked the operator to dive solo from their boat and they all looked at me like I was from Mars. They declined and arranged a "buddy" for me who was a DM with a lot less experience than I have. I ended up leading him around and even towing the dive buoy for the operator but that's the best I could negotiate with the operator. Any more than that would have meant not diving.... so I had to ask myself "how do you want to have it".....

Realistically, solo diving is something you do when you don't depend on others. And when you do, then you make the buddy system work for you......

R..

From the sticky post at the top of this forum:
This is a no-troll zone! The discussion is not to be centered around whether to do a solo dive, but in the techniques and strategies involved.
Please pay attention to this TOS for using the SOLO FORUM.

Diver0001:
I know. I solo dive on a regular basis and I'm not against solo diving at all. The logistics, however, make it a little more complicated when you're on vacation. On vacation the dive op doesn't know you. You don't know the local conditions and if you're diving through a shop then you're going to expect (or get, even if you don't want it) some kind of supervision. Any kind of boat dive is like this. My thinking is that it's just easier to dive with a buddy than to force the issue when you're on vacation.

On my last vacation I asked the operator to dive solo from their boat and they all looked at me like I was from Mars. They declined and arranged a "buddy" for me who was a DM with a lot less experience than I have. I ended up leading him around and even towing the dive buoy for the operator but that's the best I could negotiate with the operator. Any more than that would have meant not diving.... so I had to ask myself "how do you want to have it".....

Realistically, solo diving is something you do when you don't depend on others. And when you do, then you make the buddy system work for you......

R..

Yeah, a lot's going to depend on the dive op you're going with. If you're diving off a boat, you're depending on the operator and it seems they should be able to regulate how you do it (you can, of course, ask before booking to check their policy). And if you're shore diving you can (generally?) go solo.

Brian

I have found locating a dive ops that will rent a pony very very very rare.

With the advent of TSA and their total lack of knowledge of dive gear, for a while there it was almost impossible to travel with your pony.....even though.....they had HAZMAT flip charts showing that an EMPTY tank was safe since the beginning.

Finally, the Spare Air company took on TSA (not PADI or any other $$$$$ oriented org) and got TSA to rewrite their rules on pony tanks....and other dive gear.

However, having said that.......TSA normally does not follow their own rules....and the final decision is up to the last TSA guy you encounter....and I got that little tid bit of info straight out of a conversation with an official at TSA HQ.

So, whats the rule??? The rule states that you can take a "tank" on board (carry on) as long as it is completely drained of air and has the valve removed so it can be visually inspected inside.

But I can tell you my experience and conversations with 4 major airports TSA guys.....YOU AINT GONNA TAKE IT ON BOARD.

All the TSA reps I have dealt with tell me......drain the tank, take off the valve....and put it in my check in...or it does not go.

I print off the rules indicating it is at least OK to transport one now and put it in a heavy document protector and elastic band that around my pony....with TSA in big red letters. Hopefully they will read it. So far I have had no problems with my pony.

Since I have switched to a bp and wing....I put it in a small roller bag carry on with one mask and computer. My fins and other stuff gets crossed packed in two non descript suitcases.

What torques me is that TSA no longer reseals your suitcase if they open it up to inspect it. I know the seal does zip to stop theft....but it does stop the suit case from opening in long transit. TSA said it got to expensive to provide plastic ties.
Rich

I recently took a a 19 cf pony in checked bagage with the pertinant TSA rules bungied to the tank (thanks to someone on SB for the idea). I put the tank on top so the official TSA rules were the first thing they saw when they opened the bag. When I got back, I found a note in the bag informing me the TSA had searched the bag. Every thing was there and the TSA lock was locked. It really looked like they hadn't searched it very much as everything was tightly packed exactly as I packed it. I guess I'm saying put the pony on top with the rules on it and use a TSA lock.

Im aware of at least 6 incidences where the TSA special locks were cut by TSA. I put EXTRA ties inside and hope they will be courteous... giggle....enough to reseal the bag for me. I even write on my suitcase....PLS RESEAL>>>> so now you can spot me in the airport !!

Back
Top Bottom