I f*** up and I am ashamed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course. I was simly saying what would have been the best way of stopping her from entering the cave (which was a big no-no) from a 10m distance.
The O.P. stated that he was against her entering, but pointed out that he was 10m away, so it would appear that it didn't occur to him how to get her attention.

Yup that distance thing can catch you out when you cannot signal to your dive buddy. Did seem the guide was also not attentive to where the divers in his group are.

Kudos for owning up on this very public diving forum.
Not many would....

Yeah, what the others said about weights. Surface swimming in full gear is much harder than the same swim at 2-3m. Sometimes you may need to do a pop-up to get your bearings and can find yourself trapped at the surface unable to rejoin your dive buddy or burning a lot of air to get down to them.

I didn’t really understand your description of the dive. In one part you said you couldn’t see you dive computer because of the visibility and then you were ten meters from your wife and could see her entering the cave. It sounds like the guide was taking you through a swim through of some type. Could you give us a clearer description of the dive. Where was it? Is it a cold water dive? Do you know the name of the sight? Depth and visibility?

Why were you 10 meters away from your buddy? Would you be able to catch up that distance in an out of air emergency when you buddy is still swimming away from you?

Yes, I'm with the "add a little weight" group. I bought a new, larger BCD recently and tried it with 2 pounds less. Too hard for the initial descent, so I put back the 2 pounds.
Do a proper weight check.

Why were you 10 meters away from your buddy? Would you be able to catch up that distance in an out of air emergency when you buddy is still swimming away from you?

Here I am below at 30m plus depth with my buddy 10m ahead of me. the way I breathe yes I could catch up 10m if needed.

Your DM f'ed up, your wife f'ed up and you certainly f'ed up in many and different and big ways. ALL of you should be ashamed but also grateful for surviving it. You lucked out this time.

It is better to be a pound or two overweight than a pound or two under weighted. I do NOT want to be fighting to try to control my depth or ascent because I am a pound or two underweighted especially in an overhead environment.

As I wade through this chaos, I would like to ask a couple of questions.

1. Was this a cave? Briefly and incompletely stated....
a. A cavern is an overhead environment with natural light still usable usable and the entrance is clearly visible at all times. The diver will return exit through the entry point.
b. A cave is roughly the same thing, but there is no available natural light, and the entrance is not visible during the dive.
c. A swim-through is a formation in which the diver enters at one point and exits at another. There is usually natural light available throughout. Usually (not always) the exit point is visible from the point of entry. These are commonly done on recreational dives throughout the world.
2. How did the wife do? It seems to me that she did just fine on the dive. She never felt she was in danger. Did she return to the entry point or exit at another point?

Your DM f'ed up, your wife f'ed up and you certainly f'ed up in many and different and big ways. ALL of you should be ashamed but also grateful for surviving it. You lucked out this time.

It is better to be a pound or two overweight than a pound or two under weighted. I do NOT want to be fighting to try to control my depth or ascent because I am a pound or two underweighted especially in an overhead environment.

The DM guide was 5 minutes separated from Dody. So he didn't even know Dody had issues and should have never taken so long to get to him.

Dody wrote " I was at the surface on my own. Ashamed becaused I did not know where my wife was. 5 minutes later, she surfaced with the DM. They had looked for me before surfacing."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom