I flooded my camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xizang

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Anybody had their camera flooded? What is the possibility of it being repaired? I flooded by Nikon Coolpix yesterday on my 3rd dive. Im about to bring it to Nikon today hopefully to have it checked.

Now I'm thinking maybe I should just buy one of those sea&sea cameras that are built for underwater use straight from the factory. I have seen to many camera's flood (especially Olympus housings!) and now I have experienced first hand.

:( Sorry to hear about your F-word! It's not a matter of If but of When.

Mostly, the digitals are toast in a bad flood. Sometimes they work for a while, but then the corrosion inside gets to them.

Personally, I wouldn't sacrifice the benefits of a digital in a housing for a Sea & Sea (which is actually a digital in a housing anyway). Any camera you take underwater has the potential to flood. 99%+ floods are user error of some description...it's just the chance we take!

Good luck with the repair/replacement!

bTW- I don't think you can blanket statement any manufacturer's housings across the models :wink:

I flooded about 25% of the casing at about 5 meters depth then went up. I hope it can be fixed.

Axua:
Anybody had their camera flooded? What is the possibility of it being repaired? I flooded by Nikon Coolpix yesterday on my 3rd dive. Im about to bring it to Nikon today hopefully to have it checked.

Now I'm thinking maybe I should just buy one of those sea&sea cameras that are built for underwater use straight from the factory. I have seen to many camera's flood (especially Olympus housings!) and now I have experienced first hand.
just my thoughts on this, but i have owened the sea life and the sea -sea, i have had the best luck with the dig in the housing !!! i have to agree with alcina, your better off with what you have and getting it replaced, i have had so many floods with the otheres and no problems with my canon and ike-lite, so sorry to hear of your dissaster and though it is said it isnt if it is when!!! good luck and wish you better luck in the futer, iwill be in your neck of the woods in two weeks and camera and all equipment is insured through DEPP, so i dont want a flooded camera on my first ever warm water diving!! on my way to the great PI

so sorry to hear of your dissaster and though it is said it isnt if it is when!!!

really? all camera housings no matter how expensive it is, it will eventually flood?

As Alcina said, it is almost always a user problem, not the housing. I always carry extra O-rings for my Ike and if one even looks like it is not in perfect condition, I replace it. All it takes is a small hair on the O-ring or not lubing it properly to cause a flood.

Sorry to hear about your flood. Stories like this always make me cringe...

Yeah I think I should have lubed it again after I opened it before that fatal 3rd dive. And I should have kept an eye on it while descending, I should have been able to notice that water was already dripping in.

Here's what I do bro...I lube my orings (not much), look for hair, dust, sand etc..and even have my wife look at it for a "second opinion" sort of thing and I close the housing and take a look again around the edges. The batteries and memory card are gud for several dives for the day (I don't open it in between dives). I repeat the procedure the next day.

sorry to hear about that. like caloy i inspect the camera the day before and dont open unitil the last of the dives. i hope you get to salvage your camera. all the best

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom