I flooded my camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absoulutely it does NOT matter on the price of the housing. All it takes is a stray hair or bit of sand/dirt in an oring.

Or not checking the seal is flat. Or bumping it hard and dislodging a seal accidentally.

Some housings right from the manufacturer can have a problem, but this is very rare. Many times these defects can be seen on close inspection, too. This is such a non-problem for the most part that I have never taken an empty housing down - I always just chuck the camera in and go diving. I live on the edge, Baby :D

It happens. Get insurance if the cost of that is less than of replacing things yourself.

Go diving. Be happy. Accept the risks :wink: Get great shots!

What insurance do you use Alcina and is it good in Canada as well?

alcina:
You'll have to ask them about availability to Canadians :wink: I use DEPP.
i also do the same as the rest said, any and every time i open that housing it gets recleaned and relubed, always very carefully inspected!!! it takes almost the tinyest thing like sand or hair and that is it. on the insurence, as it was said i also use depp and they are fantastic, they cover any and everything no matter what the case, flood,fire , theft, dropped it !!! what ever and they insure all of my gear, about $8000 worth in gear and for only $189 a year

sorry to hear about that. i also don't open my cam in between dives unless the memory card is full already. when i clean the housing, i see to it that there's no single hair/fiber strand or sand and apply enough amount of silicon grease..."kulang na lang dasalan ko" :) and before every dive, i soak it first in the tub to check for water leaks.

hmm...time to go to the service center coz i noticed on my o-ring a slight rough portion. i'll better replaced it to prevent further deterioration.

hopefully your cam will be repaired and fully functional again.

Just came from Nikon, my camera has a 50-50 chance of being salvaged. I never had interest in underwater photography but I think I will now try to learn something about this.

For the PPDer's what's the camera brand and housing that has easy access to o-rings and parts here in the Philippines? My (late) Nikon Coolpix 4300 had a Fantasea housing and my GF ordered the casing from Singapore and I don't think o-rings are locally available for it. I was hoping to get the same camera but unfortunately Nikon told me that they don't sell the 4300 anymore, so since Im getting a new one I might as well get something that is easily serviceable here.

Axua:
Just came from Nikon, my camera has a 50-50 chance of being salvaged. I never had interest in underwater photography but I think I will now try to learn something about this.

For the PPDer's what's the camera brand and housing that has easy access to o-rings and parts here in the Philippines? My (late) Nikon Coolpix 4300 had a Fantasea housing and my GF ordered the casing from Singapore and I don't think o-rings are locally available for it. I was hoping to get the same camera but unfortunately Nikon told me that they don't sell the 4300 anymore, so since Im getting a new one I might as well get something that is easily serviceable here.
1st of all: sorry to hear of the flooding though bro... sucks to hear that

2nd: i think canon is readily available in terms of o-rings and such locally but check to make sure, i know the casings are not available locally but hopefully the accessories are

3rd: if you do get a canon tell me, i might join you in ordering a housing

Jag

who makes canon housings? canon also?

Axua:
who makes canon housings? canon also?
they do... for instance the WP-DC90 and the similar line... you've probably seen spoon's camera or caloy's or jon's it's the clear housing with orange and blue highlights

ikelite also makes housings but it interferes with the flash and is more expensive than the canon, canon housings are 8k-10k based on internet prices

Jag

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom