I Guess They Chatted Too Much!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
This might make a good movie. They look kind of familiar.....

"Records show that the subject communicated in chat rooms that focused on Islamic coins in order to learn how to restore the coins and to solicit possible buyers"

http://www.cdnn.info/news/industry/i060311.html

report scuba looter now link...yikes

Homeland Security has time for this?

It boggles my mind that Homeland Security has the man hours for this......maybe I am missing something.

I notice they did not name the wreck. I wonder if the Saudi's will "put the coins back".

great point. I did not think of that.

This is a good example of the news-end of an interdepartmental "favor." Let’s hope our G-men received in return something worth the time and effort.

You can be sure they weren't helping out because they were bored.

JB

I guess you only get one side of the story and it looks like the US did a fantastic service to the Saudi Government but do you think they even knew about the coins being missing? do they really care?????

The "thieves" probably thought they had found something pretty cool and then thought they could make some cash. Seems like they are just being hung out to dry to make the politics look good.

Report a scuba looter??? what the heck is that!

CDNN's editorial after the story is quite "from the pulpit"

The debate ususally gets pretty heated when talking about "recovering items" from underwater but this scuba looter thing is crazy. I guess all those folks with things in thier possesion they found: from the penny on the street to the china from the Doria should turn themselves in.

onfloat:
Funny though, the pics in the CDNN article were divers that weren't even involved in this event.
Before taking things from CDNN seriously, you might want to read this

http://www.deepimage.co.uk/cdnn.htm

Back
Top Bottom