I Guess They Chatted Too Much!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, are you saying that the guys in the photo were not the ones arrested? I would think that could be problematic. hey! I knew those bars looked fake!

I noticed some other articles with mug shot of Salvo Halcyon dealer, etc. Quite the National Enquirer of Scubaland.

These are all good points and I wonder if the "street" will start to be a two-way street or is the US going to continue to help SA without any publicity.....? All news i guess can be subjective. It all depends on on your angle.

Flyinghuntster, often the reason you don't hear about the "quo" part of the "quid pro quo" is that it wouldn't be such a lame duck story in SA. In fact, helping the US is some capacity can really burn certain royalty and agencies in SA. So, the details of the "quo" are often buried.

What's interesting about this story is that black-market antiquity markets utilize much of the same underground infrastructure that illegal weapons and modern slavery markets do. Those that master moving things under the radar of intelligence agencies often don't bother to moralize much with regard to the nature of the product. Perhaps the US bumped into these while acting on behalf of SA intel and said thank you.

All of the above is just speculation probably better off unwritten.

JB

The Horn:
I guess you only get one side of the story and it looks like the US did a fantastic service to the Saudi Government but do you think they even knew about the coins being missing? do they really care?????

The "thieves" probably thought they had found something pretty cool and then thought they could make some cash. Seems like they are just being hung out to dry to make the politics look good.

Report a scuba looter??? what the heck is that!

CDNN's editorial after the story is quite "from the pulpit"

The debate ususally gets pretty heated when talking about "recovering items" from underwater but this scuba looter thing is crazy. I guess all those folks with things in thier possesion they found: from the penny on the street to the china from the Doria should turn themselves in.

Kinda' what I was thinking too. How convenient for both governments. One gets free recovery and one gets a good boy cookie. sic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom