I have 1 day to dive Bonaire. Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Satisfied

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey all, I'll be hitting Bonaire for one day only in April, as it is a port of call on my upcoming cruise. I've never been there before and want to squeeze in as much of the great diving as possible. I will have all my own gear and I'm AOW certified. I'm thinking of doing a combination of both shore and boat dives if possible, but if I had to choose one it would probably be shore since that is what I've heard so much about.

I would greatly appreciate any insight you could provide regarding "don't miss" dive sites as well as dive shops and best means of transport.

I've tried to contact Divi Dive, but they have not returned my emails. I've made contact with Buddy Dive, but they kind of gave me the option to either do a 2 tank boat dive or do shore diving on my own by renting a truck.

Can I hire a taxi to drive me to the sites?

Again, any suggestions for my plan of attack would be most appreciated.

Diving one day in Bonaire really won't do the island justice. Make plans to visit for at least a week on a dedicated dive trip.

If I were in your shoes, I'd probably do the 2 tank boat dive and then see if the dive op would let me rent a tank or two to dive whatever site is in front of the shop (if possible). The house reef at Buddy Dive has a lot to see. Then, relax for the rest of the day. No sense in making the stop too hectic. You might even be able to negotiate transportation from the dock to the dive op and back.

Divers don't generally grab a taxi to do shore dives on Bonaire. Logistically, you'd have to pay the driver to wait or arrange for him to pick you up at a specific time...with a pile of wet gear.

I suppose you could rent a truck, but you'd have to deal with the registration process, filling it back up with gas, and returning it. Then you'd have to figure out how to get to/from the dock. Too much of a hassle if you ask me.

When are you going to be there? I may have an option for you.

Thanks. I'll ask Buddy Dive if I could do a shore dive at the shop after the boat dives, rather than take me directly back to the ship.

Typically a boat dive includes unltd. shore diving after. I would do the two tank and then shore dive at Buddy's until I had to get back on the ship. They have great house reef and it is great going north or south. I could dive that repeatedly all day and not get bored. New critters always seem to be showing up. The boat dives are usually to Klein or someplace that is not real easy to shore dive so you can see more of the island.

Have fun.

I want to add my "Amen!" to Bubbletrubble's suggestion. You haven't mentioned arrival and departure times. But having dived Bonaire numerous times, I also think you can make the most of your dive time by spending your day at Buddy Dive. All the endemic fish are right there. You could get a taxi to the Dive shop. Do a boat dive over to Klein in the am, come back and get lunch at the Lion's Den, explore both sides of Buddy Reef with two afternoon dives, eat an early dinner under their palapa and, depending on your departure time, possibly do an easy night dive (lighting Charlie the tarpon's hunt for dinner is an experience that shouldn't be missed, and the orange cup coral is right there at the top of the rock wall beside the pilings by the ladder.) They've got showers and rinse tanks, and sunsets that are unsurpassed. Enjoy Bonaire - how could you not?

Hook's wife

You guys are the best. Thanks for all the input.

My ship arrives at 7 AM and departs at 4 PM. It sounds like I could do 3 tanks on the Buddy Dive house reef and not get bored with it. Maybe I'll go that route if I have to choose. I should note that I'll be diving with my dad, so I've got a buddy lined up.

Personally I'd dive Habitat over Buddy's reef on a one day trip. It's next door and on the LaMachaca (small wreck) dive site. http://www.pbase.com/elif/image/105542657/original

A short swim north from their dive dock is the Cliff dive site, one of few vertical walls in the area.

Both resorts are so close that you'll see basically the same stuff at either with the advantage of the second dive site from Habitat.

Habitat has lockers, outdoor showers, a bar above the locker room and a covered outdoor restaurant w/pizza kitchen.
http://www.habitatbonaire.com/pages/dive.aspx

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom