I have never been so proud to be a Texican.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That Map only included a 500 year flood. This has been an 800 year flood and worse, completely widespread. There are a few "islands" but otherwise it was ALL flooded. I believe that the 4 day event dropped between 50 and 60 inches in many places. League City where I have a home was at 52.19 inches before last night.

Dave

@Dave Dillehay, sorry to hear that you are stuck in Houston & glad to know that at least you & your family are safe.

I've been living in Lake Jackson since 1985, I have gone through Alicia, Rita, Ike, now Harvey. So far this is the worst one, but thank God, we have never been underwater. City of Lake Jackson has been busy pumping water all night & day since Friday, out of the ditch in my backyard that was usually empty to Oyster Creek. The ditch is now full & the water in the Oyster Creek is only 3' away from the levee.

Google Earth view of the normally empty ditch:
IMG_6149.PNG

The ditch is now full of water:
IMG_6123.JPG

The ditch water has been pumped to Oyster Creek, which is about 3' below the levee continuously for 5 days:
IMG_6143.JPG

We'll see how they are today.

@Dave Dillehay, sorry to hear that you are stuck in Houston & glad to know that at least you & your family are safe.

I've been living in Lake Jackson since 1985, I have gone through Alicia...
Allison, maybe? Alicia was in 1983, I believe.

Allison, maybe? Alicia was in 1983, I believe.

My bad, it was 1983, Hurricane Alicia - Wikipedia
That was when I was still in school, young & stupid, in Houston. I slept through the fast moving Hurricane in the middle of the night :) I was awakened by a water fall from the ceiling as a skylight in my apartment broke. I was drenched .

Allison was only a tropical depression in 2001?. So, I kind of forgot about it.

Allison was only a tropical depression in 2001?. So, I kind of forgot about it.
It was only a depression but the flooding from it was very bad.

I know that Alison was 'just' a Tropical storm. Yes, prior to now, the worst previous Rain event here-- was the tropical storm Allison. it set here for quite a while but did not have nearly as much rain as this did. Indeed Alison survivors remember that as IT. Now they know what is really BAD.

Dave

While the Dallas-Ft. Worth area had no direct hurricane/flood impacts, the metroplex has already run out of gas! I first noticed it late Wed night when I had to stop at 3 different gas stations to buy gas, had to wait in line at the 3rd station to finally get gas, and that was at Midnight on a workday! I gassed up all 3 vehicles, plus about 10 gallons gas in mower gas cans. That was the last chance to gas up, today (Thursday) everyone is empty as far as I can tell, gas stations are dark/closed down, the few still open have lines stretching for blocks, blocking city streets/intersections as drivers pile up in the middle of the road! My employer plans to rent a fuel truck and bring in outside gas for the employees on Tuesday, so I guess we'll gas up in the employee parking lot! We are also excused from coming in to work if our vehicles don't have enough gas to make the drive in, we were allowed to leave work early today, if we wanted, to go after the last remaining gas if we felt it necessary.

A couple days ago, the HEB in Dripping Springs was down to premium (selling at "regular" price rather than premium). They are shut down.

Had a trip planned for San Antonio on Friday. Think I will pass on that and keep the powder dry. Three vehicles, two with full tanks and one with half a tank

The gas issue in the Metroplex is self inflicted. Demand exceeded gas station supply today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom