I just don't log dives,why not?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wookie, I think I know the shop you reference..lol. Luckily I've done enough diving in the area that I rarely get hassled with details like #of logged dives. I have never had to dive with a guide in the keys, and stay away from shops that practically make it mandatory, as well as the ones that put guides and DMs in the water to ensure you don't penetrate, dip deeper than the mythical 130' or do 20 minute safety stops.
I like captains corner for this reason, as they don't look at wreck divers like we have an arm growing out of our foreheads.

I am in the group that is not that interested in keeping a log. I do download my computer and I keep track of my total dives and where they are by location but I don't even keep track of dive site names or things I've seen. So I can tell you how many dives I've done in Bonaire or Fiji but not what dive sites and I'm okay with that. I do use the computer log to monitor my SAC rate. I have zero interest in reading through old logs. Where I dive locally a site can be great one day and lousy the next and everything in between and the fish tend to move around. So I really don't care too much what the site was like last time or before. I can remember what weight I use in a 3 mm, 7 mm or drysuit so I don't bother putting that in the log.

I've dived with 18 different tropical ops and 12 different local boats and none have ever asked for a log. Though sometimes but not always I may print my computer log before a trip which basically just shows date, dive time and max depth.

Too each their own.

I like being able to tell others what dive sites I liked and which I didn't. where I saw all the cool stuff and where I didn't. To each their own.

You miss the point. They won't prohibit you from diving, they will make you dive with a guide. And quite frankly, divers in Key West most often need to dive with a guide, especially on the Vandenberg. We don't, but then, we've had you for a week before we put you there. If you were a lousy vacation diver when you came to us, you're a lot better by the time we get to the Vandy.

No, with the dive shop I have in mind, you'd go across the street to the competitor because the competitor is $40 cheaper per head, and will take you diving the way you want. I use the you specifically to mean you, Bob. You would be unhappy having your hand held on the dive boat....

I actually prefer a guide under the right circumstances. But I don't want them to hold my hand ... I want them to find me some interesting things to take pictures of ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I actually prefer a guide under the right circumstances. But I don't want them to hold my hand ... I want them to find me some interesting things to take pictures of ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Definitely!!!

When I took OW course PADI said I should log, so I do. You must do everything PADI tells you to do. You must also have OCS. I did not read all the posts here because I am correct.

"I don't log dives" It is a personal choice and non of your business! Did that read as being snippy enough? :eyebrow:

The real question I asked myself is would I read my dive log, and the answer simply was no. I quit logging the day I got my c-card. I am not looking for bragging rights, nor approval of other people. I have never been asked for my log book. My gear doesn't change anymore and I would like to say it is pretty dialed in. 96% of my dives are cold water, and we see much of the same creatures.

I don't log my hikes, kayaking adventures, nor my mountain bike rides. Those tend to have equipment changes more than my diving.

I am too lazy to log dives. By the time I get home, disconnect the boat, flush the motor and wash it clean, unpack all my gear and my partners, then wash everything after driving 2-6 hours, I am beat and just want to eat then relax, or go to bed.

After all my gear purchases I can't afford a nice log book, but I got a nice iPhone with unlimited everything :wink: Where did I put my food stamps?

Lately I haven't been diving much as I have been remodeling my house. I used to dive fairly often though and will again in the future.

Providing services to others is not in my diving future. Although I have happily given back and mentored more than a few divers.

Funny that I rarely get asked for a signature, but always willing to provide one with a smile when asked. Maybe that is because most of my dive buddies don't log dives.

I log dives using an excel spreadsheet which is pretty painless, I usually do about 10 entries at a time which is how many my bottom timer holds. I also submit survey data to Reef.org which also acts as a log book, sort of. I use the "I just don't log dives" because "I'm not saying" isn't an option. I don't believe it's that relevant and it's not a good indicator of skill or knowledge, IMHO.

I would like to know which computers out the automatically down load your amount of weight and the exact equipment configuration you used?????? Let me know I will certainly buy one of those.

I would like to know which computers out the automatically down load your amount of weight and the exact equipment configuration you used?????? Let me know I will certainly buy one of those.

No computer does that, of course... why, do you consider that a reason not to download dive profiles from your computer? My computer also doesn't navigate for me, or make lunch after the dives, but it's still pretty useful! :)

For those suggesting that keeping track of weight used is a reason to log dives, you don't need to log dives to keep track of how much weight you need with various configurations (different wetsuits, different tanks, etc.)

The same goes for SAC rate.

All of that can be stored on one page, or in a cell phone for easy reference.

IMO the best reason for logging is to reflect on the dive with respect to what went well, what didn't and learn from it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom