I know it's ladies only, but I NEED advice...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tell her, as some of the others have said in the other thread, Present your reasoning, but don't hide it. In a very short time, buying equipment is the less expensive way to go if you dive a fair bit. For instance, around here if you went diving on 10 weekends took a charter for each weekend (diving only one day) and rented your equipment, the total would be approximately $1200 dollars (Cdn)and that's just one season....

Comparing your costs to her costs may be relevant if you were having the discussion before buying after -- it's probably "fighting words"

martinjc's (in the other thread) comments/conversion might just help you out

just my 0.02 worth

I responded in your other thread but just in case...

Be Honest - in All Things!

From your previous posts, this looks like an impulse purchase. Explain why you bought it when you did and your reasoning behind it. Since your wife doesn't dive, you might explain the long run financial advantage to owning your own gear.

You're already feeling guilty for hiding this purchase from her so you've answered your own question! I can't really help you with dealing with a non-diving spouse since Beast and I got certified together but I can promise you that after almost 29 years of mostly wedded bliss, that honesty really is the best way. As I mentioned elsewhere, now may be the time to have a talk about your diving and what it means to you.

What kind of hobbies does your wife have? Back before we started diving, we had very different hobbies. We started a Hobby Fund. We'd both put extra money in that savings account knowing that one or the other could spend it. But the one rule we had was all purchases over $50 had to be discussed with each other. Plus, using a savings account meant we couldn't impulsively just write a check. We had to go to the bank and withdraw the money from the savings acct. This saved us quite a bit because the time involved gave us time to really think about the purchase...no impulse buying. It worked for us and is just a suggestion for you.

Time to fess up (she will find out anyway). With puppy dog eyes look down at your feet, scuff one foot against the other toe, and beg, a tear might help!

Get ready for a few weeks of honey do work :( Go out and buy her somthing that she would not buy for herself. Not something for the house something for just her!

I hope you bought a black wetsuit. ( easier to hide the next one if you buy black all the time) I got this lil gem of an idea from a friend that has been diving 20 yrs. (he still has the SAME black wetsuit I might add)

hehehe good luck I haven't done this as of yet to such a LARGE degree, but if you live through it I might give it a try.

First, just shoot straight with her, tell her you were weak and couldn't help yourself. This is the solemn truth as will all of the people on this board will attest to.

Second, get her interested in scuba and before you know it the tables will be turned.

Third, tell her you have just joined SA, not to be confused with AA, but kinda like it.

Hope this helps

ID..............I am a scubaholic..............and damn proud of it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom