I live in a somewhat unique environment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Where the air tempreture ranges from 110-below 0 and water tempreture ranges from just above freezing to 80 degrees.
I am beginning my diving career and could only afford one set of gear. The question is what type of suit should I buy? I think that you'd want something heavy (7mm wetsuit?) To cover for the cold extreme, but don't know if there is any actual disadvantages to this when it gets warm again. Can you be 'too hot' underwater in a wetsuit?
Are there any potential damages to BCs or Regulators if they are used in such a wide range? Or would it not matter since it is seasonal and they just aren't bothered?

Where the air tempreture ranges from 110-below 0 and water tempreture ranges from just above freezing to 80 degrees.
I am beginning my diving career and could only afford one set of gear. The question is what type of suit should I buy? I think that you'd want something heavy (7mm wetsuit?) To cover for the cold extreme, but don't know if there is any actual disadvantages to this when it gets warm again. Can you be 'too hot' underwater in a wetsuit?
Are there any potential damages to BCs or Regulators if they are used in such a wide range? Or would it not matter since it is seasonal and they just aren't bothered?

Forgive my skepticism, but your profile says you live in North Carolina. So where can you possibly be where the air temp can be -110F?

Get a trilaminate dry suit, and vary what you wear underneath it A set of polarfleece sweats or a base layer works fine in 80 degrees, and heavy undergarments work in just above freezing. I can't think of ANY other single suit that will truly work in that extreme range of environments.

If you dive in water just above freezing, you will want some kind of environmentally sealed regulator. BC inflators CAN freeze, but there is nothing about type that makes that more or less likely.

Forgive my skepticism, but your profile says you live in North Carolina. So where can you possibly be where the air temp can be -110F?

I believe he meant it ranges from 110 degrees to below zero.

I use a 7 mil farmer john wetsuit year round. My bottom temps. range from 33F to over 60F here. When it hits 65 or over (on a trip South), I usually just use the top (you have to adjust trim without the bottom obviously). A shortie or body suit is best for temps. above 70-75 (in my case). Haven't had BC or reg. troubles yet (maybe lucky?).

Get a trilaminate dry suit, and vary what you wear underneath it A set of polarfleece sweats or a base layer works fine in 80 degrees, and heavy undergarments work in just above freezing. I can't think of ANY other single suit that will truly work in that extreme range of environments.

If you dive in water just above freezing, you will want some kind of environmentally sealed regulator. BC inflators CAN freeze, but there is nothing about type that makes that more or less likely.

I live in Virginia beach much the same temps

I would love to have a dry suite to much money but my 7 mill works I wear it from water temp of 75 to 50 anything higher I dont use a suite.

As pricey as it may sound (and as dorky as you may look at some dive sights in the warmer months), a trilaminate drysuit would be your best bet for a one-suit-fits-all approach. But, for the cost of a decent drysuit (even used), you could purchase several wetsuits brand new.

Peace,
Greg

lightknightpete,

I dive in Lake Ontario area. The temperatures range from 0 to 80F. If you can afford it, a trilaminate drysuit is your best bet. The drysuit gives you little thermal protection. Instead, you purchase different clothes to wear under the drysuit. This way you can dress for the current temperature.

If you cannot then do what I do. I have a 7mm full wetsuit, a 7mm tunic, 7mm hood and various gloves. If I am diving 80F I'd use the 7mm full wetsuit and thin/no gloves. If it gets a little colder, I can put on the hood. If it gets really cold (45F or colder) I can put on the tunic, thick gloves and the hood.

The danger of this setup is above water. You can easily get overheated if you wear this setup and the air temperature is high. I typically leave the top rolled down so my core can breath. When it is time to dive I'll suit up, gear up, buddy check and in the water. If there is a line up to get off the boat I'll stay calm and try not to move at all. If I am shore diving, I only do it on days when it is cool (80F or colder), cloudy or if I can get in the water really fast and gear up in the water.

Ultimately, drysuit is the way to go. My dive season ends when the air temperature drops down to 50F. The reason is, getting out of the water and taking off my wetsuit means standing around in 50F (or lower) air temperature, dripping wet and just a bathing suit. If I was in a dry suit, getting changed back into street clothes wouldn't be a problem.

Message double posted. Please ignore this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom