I made a mistake.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skipping the dive was a good call. I don't think it was the combo of medicines but it could be. A Ventolin inhale will increase your heart rate by it self.

Joe

I appreciate everyones' feedback. I didn't regret calling the dive, and we had three more days of great dives, but it is nice to get your support.

I'm sure my error was in combining the meds. I'm pretty aware of how my system reacts to Sudafed. (don't know about Actifed - never took it.) I had asthma as a kid, and took Ventolin regularly. I haven't had much trouble with it for many years, but I did report it on my OW medical release, and had my doctor certify me fit for diving. My wife has just started having breathing trouble, and had an inhaler with her on our trip.

I think going from a cool, Midwest autumn to hot, humid Grand Cayman gave me a little trouble breathing. The irony is that breathing the dry tank air cleared up my lungs better than any medicine could. I had no problems the rest of the week.

I love this sport. You learn new things every time you do it. Thanks again for all the feedback.
Dan

IndyDan,

Honestly, I think you made the right call. You were aware of self and made the call that you weren't comfortable with how you felt. What matters most is that your still here to dive another day and didnt just push it to get the dive in. Personal opinion is your a better diver because of it. :)

Hi Dan - Just a quick side note about asthma & meds. I'm a relatively new diver myself & very comfortable with the meds I take for allergies & asthma, and in the dives I've made thus far haven't had any issues whatsoever.

You or (more likely) your wife may want to consider a combination of Advair and Singulair for the asthma. I have been an asthmatic my entire life, like you had carried Ventolin (Albuterol) with me EVERYWHERE I went and found it a big pain. Since starting these meds a few years ago not only do I not have to carry the Albuterol, I haven't had even a whiff of a wheeze since!

Just something to consider.

Happy Diving!

Hi Dan - Just a quick side note about asthma & meds. I'm a relatively new diver myself & very comfortable with the meds I take for allergies & asthma, and in the dives I've made thus far haven't had any issues whatsoever.

You or (more likely) your wife may want to consider a combination of Advair and Singulair for the asthma. I have been an asthmatic my entire life, like you had carried Ventolin (Albuterol) with me EVERYWHERE I went and found it a big pain. Since starting these meds a few years ago not only do I not have to carry the Albuterol, I haven't had even a whiff of a wheeze since!

Just something to consider.

Happy Diving!

I'm glad to see more divers having the guts to post their paux pas on SB and less divers ridiculing the posters as past seen here at SB.

Everyone benefits from such an exhange.

Now, for Indy, now you have a better understanding about the "dont do it's" of diving and WHY and I'm sure it's a mistake you won't be repeating again anytime soon, I'm glad you lived to dive another day.

Tops marks for the courage to post this, it takes guts.

Glad you're OK. Always a good idea to give any medications that you might use for diving a trial run on terra firma beforehand.

Mike

Dan

Thank you for sharing this experience. I agree with everyone here, there were no mistakes made - just some good judgements.

Hope all goes well for you and the missus in the future.

Best regards.

Kev

Great work Dan! I am a fellow asthmatic and I know that feeling of your heart pounding, your pulse skyrocketing and you feel like you just got a huge rush, but in a bad way. Personally (and I'm not a Dr) but I think the inhaler caused the conditions which prevented your dive. It's a common side effect for your pusle to rise thus elevating your respiration rate. Other side effects can include vertigo (which is rather dangerous in water) and difficulty seeing. I wouldn't blame the sudafed, but as most people will say, taking meds before a dive should be avoided.

I really commend you for not diving. I'm a new diver too and might have gone, but only because I am used to the after affects of an asthma inhaler and I know they typically only last about 10 minutes.

Personally I'm really impressed that you called the dive, definitly better safe then sorry.

I think your only mistake was taking a med before fully understanding the possible side effects and planning accordingly for them.

-Ken

IndyDan once bubbled...
I think going from a cool, Midwest autumn to hot, humid Grand Cayman gave me a little trouble breathing.
I'm a bit surprised. I left the dutch winter to move to Bonaire and never had problems. Is Bonaire different from Cayman in this (never been there)?
I've had all sorts of problems with my airways all my life... astmatic bronchitis, hayfever, several other allergies etc. But moving to Bonaire has cleared most of that up. For the first time in my life I have no trouble at all with breathing; even my nose is constantly open. One of the many benefits of coming down here! :mean:

Back
Top Bottom