I need 100 of you...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy,

Done. But just to be clear, this is not a scientific study because it's self-selecting.

But it will be interesting to see the results anyway.

Jeff

drbill:
Don't think there was any expressed intent to change opinion, just to lay out the "facts" based on the survey.

If you look at the "facts" regarding cigarette smoking, how much do you think they have changed the opinions of smokers? Of course here in California many have quit, but I still see a LOT of smoking in visiting groups from other areas of the States, Europe and Asia. You would think those "facts" would cause everyone to quit, but they don't.
I witnessed a strange and somewhat funny sight yesterday at the wall. An older diver had just doffed his tank and was trying to get out of his drysuit but couldn't get the neckseal over the cigarette he had in is mouth. He couldn't even wait three minutes out of the water for his next fix.

There you go! great survey, I can't say i see the purpose of diving solo, but hey, whatever turns your crank, I do think it is important though not to be completly resting on your buddies shoulder, you should be proficent, and self reliable, as well.

Filled in, hope it helps.

As a professional I am in that grey area where technically I am diving solo even when leading a group, however, there are usually plenty of alternate air sources around me so I am certainly not alone. I had to answer "yes" to being endangered by a buddy because divers under my care have (although thankfully not often) put me in some degree of danger. I don't believe that solo diving should necessarily become more acceptable because divers need to think very hard about getting involved. Proper training/standards should be available though, you are never going to stop it happening.

Also done. Good luck with your studies.

Done. I wonder what responses would have occured if you asked something about "ever dove with a buddy who you felt could not be trusted in an emergency" or something like that. The spaced-out-buddy syndrome, where they aren't actively endangering you, but are same-ocean buddies rather than real ones.

For those curious as to why someone would wish to dive solo, dive with me at Venice Beach and when you pause to look around and wonder where I am (possibly 2-3' from you but silted out) you'll know why so many of us just carry our own flag and strive to just stay in vicinity of one another. Even when diving with my wife there, we're choosing to carry our own flag so that when we are invariably seperated we can surface and find one another.

When ya get down to it, I'll dive a lot of dives solo if given the chance.. I find that most of the diving I do is very easy as far as skill level is concerned.

Completed. Do post your findings.

diversolo:
So now NAUI has been relegated to "OTHER"?

Haven't they always been the "OTHER" agency? :D

Back
Top Bottom